Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it ok to put out feelers in this forum?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Scott S
David Stowers
Seems really cheap to me, albeit still out of my range
rwilner
QUOTE(Scott S @ Oct 19 2012, 01:50 PM) *

I am thinking 12k - does that seem reasonable?

IMO -- based only on your description and the pictures -- that car would sell in 24 hours at that asking price. Although I'm not in the market right now so my thoughts are speculation only.
rwilner
also, tell us, what did you come across that you're willing to sell such a cool teener?!
Scott S
Hi Rich -

Basically just a really really angry 914-8.....

It's an ERA.

As far as price on the 914 goes, I would absolutely trade a quick and easy sell over trying to get absolute top dollar - especially in this economy and the fact that the car is not totally done.
mepstein
You could do a lot better than 12K.
bulitt
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2012, 02:43 PM) *

You could do a lot better than 12K.

agree.gif

Other alternative is to put a V8 in this one and sell that gorgeous engine!
map
I agree with the consensus. Even in this depressed market, 12K is a steal. I would list it on Ebay with a 12K reserve. It should go fast. My guess would be somewhere areound 16K.

Pieper
roblav1
I've been looking for a new Porsche toy and would take this for around $12K. Depends on condition of rust. I know you said longitudinals have had work, but I tend to be nit picky (I weld). If you're serious, send me a note:
f1000_07 at yahoo dot com
Ferg
Call me shades.gif
rhodyguy
there you go, interest in 9 posts. nice car.

k
Black22
It's worth more than 12k...easily. That motor is drooley.gif

Good luck with the sale and that angry 8!
914runnow
$14,500.00..and whomever gets it is STILL.
getting the bargain of the century..
butt immah CW..sooo juhstahmyaopinionion..
OU8AVW
Tell me where to send the cashier's check biggrin.gif
That thing is sick....
eric9144
What's been said already, 12k is too cheap...that being said, I wish I had 12k, I'd be at your doorstep driving.gif
Andyrew
Scott, a v8? Is it Stewards blue track car? Unless its a well sorted v8 I doubt you'll be happy with it... Sure they have power but most are NOT balanced correctly and they feel really odd driving them.

Besides 12k? If it was a 4 cylinder in that good of condition MAYBE. but a 6 conversion? I'd say 17k is a better "feeler" price. Especially how nice yours is.
shelby/914
Step away from the computer and take three deep breaths. In other words DON'T DO IT SCOTTY. New toys really aren't as good as old ones.

Danny

of course if I didn't have years and a sh-t pot of cash in my black car I'd be all over this deal of the century.
Black22
Man! You gotta love a community where people wouldn't just buy the car for 12k and flip it on eBay tomorrow! You guys are truly great to let a guy know he's shorting himself. first.gif
ScoopLV
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 19 2012, 06:57 PM) *

Man! You gotta love a community where people wouldn't just buy the car for 12k and flip it on eBay tomorrow! You guys are truly great to let a guy know he's shorting himself. first.gif

I think it would be a bit hard to flip it on eBay tomorrow. I think it would take several weeks trying to sell it at $18-20K (which is where I would set the price if that was my car). Strike that, if that was my car, you'd be able to buy it for $18-20K after you pried my cold, dead hands from the steering wheel.

So add me to the list of people who say, "Don't sell." I don't care how angry that eight is. I'd rather have a pretty six like yours than an angry eight.
sixaddict
I'm with Shelby
I would take it for 12 today...despite having two .....err 3 already.
16 would be quick turn.......18 to 20 still logical just need patience and time.
I know of a well done, fast V8 for about 13 if you are looking
Good luck

QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Oct 20 2012, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 19 2012, 06:57 PM) *

I think it would be a bit hard to flip it on eBay tomorrow. I think it would take several weeks trying to sell it at $18-20K (which is where I would set the price if that was my car). Strike that, if that was my car, you'd be able to buy it for $18-20K after you pried my cold, dead hands from the steering wheel.

So add me to the list of people who say, "Don't sell." I don't care how angry that eight is. I'd rather have a pretty six like yours than an angry eight.
Gint
You need to drive a v8 conversion before you make this decision Scotty. They aren't all they're cracked up to be. Now if you're wanting to buy that black beast, I might understand, but you should drive one first before getting rid of the martini car.
Scott S
porschecb
popcorn[1].gif biggrin.gif cheer.gif first.gif driving-girl.gif
Cracker
Nice car!
Andyrew
Scotty,

Start at 18k and wait for offers. Give yourself 2 weeks to collect offers and then decide from there...

The GT40 is an awesome, and RHD? Wow. Thats a good step up smile.gif
87m491
Very cool car, both of them. If the car was on the ast coast I'd have a hard time staying away!
JRust
I'd sell it too! That GT40 is kick ass piratenanner.gif
914runnow
What did your 'Dad' say about it??
Rand
This makes me want to say a couple things about engines and conversions. Sorry Scott if this is after the point, and just obvious conjecture for onlookers who haven't dug into this yet, but...

Would I rather have an awesome 8 conversion or a six or a four....??? (depends)

Too many variables, and it totally depends on the build of the car and engine.

Q. I have a 4, should I upgrade to an 8?
Think of the awesome power!
What if my 4 is a nice 2270 and the 8 is an old cast-iron-block chevy?
A. Hell no.

Q. I have an awesome 400hp old school v8. Should I downgrade to a Porsche 6?
A. Most likely, hell yes. But duh, it depends on the builds and conditions of the engines.

Q. I have an awesome Porsche 6. Should I upgrade to a v8?
Well..... Everyone here is going to tell you no. But if your six is a tired 2.0 and the 8 is a modern fuel injected aluminum setup that weighs less......
A. Well, everyone has an opinion.

Ok, I'm done. That was just power plant conjecture. More importantly, how's it going to be driven and how is the rest of the car built in order for its suspension and handling to be properly balanced..... Oy.

You have a nice 2.7. The new car is hella lusty attractive. But to my point...... It totally depends on the build. Did you post details that I missed? It "depends" so much that you might have to wear elderly diapers before anyone can answer without peeing somewhere they shouldn't. If you get my drift. Oh wait.... We might need something else to slow down the "drift." Whoo.

What are the details on the drivetrain? (besides "angry v8") For me it's all about the build and the weight. I don't want no angry cast iron v8. If it's a truly well-engineered light-weight v8 build that weighs no more than your six and has hella more power, then, I pity the fools who insists on spending ten times more money just to insist on a six.

On the other hand...... If that eight is less than stellar, there's no way in hell I would trade it for that sweet six you have built no matter what body it is wrapped in.
Evil914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 19 2012, 04:06 PM) *

Scott, a v8? Is it Stewards blue track car? Unless its a well sorted v8 I doubt you'll be happy with it... Sure they have power but most are NOT balanced correctly and they feel really odd driving them.

Besides 12k? If it was a 4 cylinder in that good of condition MAYBE. but a 6 conversion? I'd say 17k is a better "feeler" price. Especially how nice yours is.

Odd? The main thing odd about a V8 car was the look on the meatheads face as you blew by his high dollar "supercar" driving.gif
mittelmotor
It doesn't feel odd if you set it up right. My LS1 V-8 (aluminum block) conversion adds just under 150 lb. to the total weight, and that's toward the middle of the car. Don't know the exact numbers, but a big six and associated dry sump tank, etc., has got to be close to the same weight increase. I've also got 225-width rears, and 205s up front (and a sticky compound at that), so it hooks up pretty well out of the corners, even with an open diff.

Sure, you can sense the extra weight a little, mostly when trail braking or lift-throttle into a corner, but it's just a little different. By no means does it turn the car into a crude, ill-handling monster...if it's done right.
RFoulds
So what did you decide? Are you selling the GULF 914? you know I am buying.
eric9144
popcorn[1].gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 21 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Scotty - I too am 6'5" and therefore understand the challenges generally encountered in fitting into small 2 seat/mid-engine cars!

Just curious...
What brand kit is that (RCR, RF, etc)? What trans did they use?

Also, don't drive that car unless you absolutely intend to buy it - your 914/6 will ALWAYS feel pathetic by comparison!

Sure does look beautiful. BTW, did you get my PM yesterday?

5th post in the thread .... he said it was an ERA.
Evil914
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 22 2012, 10:12 PM) *

This makes me want to say a couple things about engines and conversions. Sorry Scott if this is after the point, and just obvious conjecture for onlookers who haven't dug into this yet, but...

Would I rather have an awesome 8 conversion or a six or a four....??? (depends)

Too many variables, and it totally depends on the build of the car and engine.

Q. I have a 4, should I upgrade to an 8?
Think of the awesome power!
What if my 4 is a nice 2270 and the 8 is an old cast-iron-block chevy?
A. Hell no.

Q. I have an awesome 400hp old school v8. Should I downgrade to a Porsche 6?
A. Most likely, hell yes. But duh, it depends on the builds and conditions of the engines.

Q. I have an awesome Porsche 6. Should I upgrade to a v8?
Well..... Everyone here is going to tell you no. But if your six is a tired 2.0 and the 8 is a modern fuel injected aluminum setup that weighs less......
A. Well, everyone has an opinion.

Ok, I'm done. That was just power plant conjecture. More importantly, how's it going to be driven and how is the rest of the car built in order for its suspension and handling to be properly balanced..... Oy.

You have a nice 2.7. The new car is hella lusty attractive. But to my point...... It totally depends on the build. Did you post details that I missed? It "depends" so much that you might have to wear elderly diapers before anyone can answer without peeing somewhere they shouldn't. If you get my drift. Oh wait.... We might need something else to slow down the "drift." Whoo.

What are the details on the drivetrain? (besides "angry v8") For me it's all about the build and the weight. I don't want no angry cast iron v8. If it's a truly well-engineered light-weight v8 build that weighs no more than your six and has hella more power, then, I pity the fools who insists on spending ten times more money just to insist on a six.

On the other hand...... If that eight is less than stellar, there's no way in hell I would trade it for that sweet six you have built no matter what body it is wrapped in.

Your Q and A does bring up some interesting points of the 4,6,8 debate but for me it boils down to money.I like to go fast but as the old hot rodder said "speed cost money,how fast do you want to go?" I've had quite a few american muscle cars but they were mostly go fast slow way down for the corners type cars [except the '70 LT1 Corvette] and none of them gave me the thrill of my V8 914.I got out of restoring muscle cars because it cost way too much.I looked at the options of going fast cheap [I have a family now] and there wasn't too many choices if you still wanted to blaze some corners.I was at a car show and saw a V8 914 and talked the guy into a ride after the show and I decided then and there this could be the car that might fit my budget and my need for speed.The small block Chevy is the cheapest engine to rebild/modify period! Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a 914 with 4 or 6 Porsche power but it just don't fit my budget. I have a 75 914 that still has the factory motor and is bone stock.Would I take it apart and put in a 6 or 8? No, becuase it's all there and it's all original.I'll most likely sell it to someone that wants that in a 914.My V8 car I found on Craigslist and the PO had already cut the holes in the front for rad. and modified the body with 916 bumper,flairs etc.So it's not like I molested a virgin 914.The price was right,$2000 with the V8 kit and I'd never seen a better rust free 914 body before or since.Sure I'd like to keep the stock car and restore it but just don't have the time or money.Sorry didn't mean to write a book on the subject but I feel better now.... biggrin.gif
Scott S
ByeByeJD
Scott, Is Martini car still available? Price? Bob. nine five one, five four four nine one nine eight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.