Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Group
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fast Company
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the group, I'm in the process of (hopefully) acquiring an original 914/6 from it's second owner, who I have known for ~15 years. He has owned the car for forty years! It was converted into a track car sometime in the '80s. My intention is to bring it back to somewhat streetable. It has steel flares, roll cage (roof panel does fit), fire bottle, cool shirt, etc. I'm not going for a concours restoration, I'm thinking of a semi-uncomfortable street car that can be taken out for track days. As time allows, I will go through the various build threads to see what others have done, what works and what doesn't.

I work at a vintage race shop in Pittsburgh. My current stable includes an Alfa Romeo, Audi S6, and a Volvo 780 with 5.0 V8 conversion. I'm sure I'll have questions as the project progresses. First I will continue my research and work on finding an agreeable price for the car with/without spares & trailer package.

Andy
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
RickS
welcome.png
wndsrfr
Wow...you're well equipped to figure out how to proceed given your background. I've moved my street 914 to "a semi-uncomfortable streetable" state and love it! You'll enjoy the attention that you get at PCA DE events as most everyone there had or wanted a 914 in their day....
Gotta ask.....is it still a 4? Mine is and it's great to see the look on the faces of the guys coming by to ask---priceless!
welcome.png
ConeDodger
welcome.png Were going to need that VIN# in the registry soon! biggrin.gif
Fast Company
It was born a 6, the original engine was replaced with a 2.4 at some point. As the negotiations develop I will have more specific info. We're trying to come up with a price that is fair to both buyer and seller. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The car is generally rust free with the exception of the rear panel in the rear trunk, just in front of the tail lights. The battery was moved to the front trunk years ago so the hell hole is fine.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Black22
welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the Madness!
welcome.png
jtf914
Welcome can't wait to see some pics... Good luck with the purchase.
timothy_nd28
welcome.png
I can't wait to hear your opinion of this 914-6 performs compared to your other cars.
NORD

I'm really sure you will Love the 914 if your into vintage cars.

welcome.png
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

happy11.gif
Fast Company
Since we haven't "consummated" the deal yet, I didn't want to temp fate and post pics prematurely. Since you asked, here's a shot of the car in the storage trailer. I did take several photos and of course will post more as time goes on.

Thanks for the kind welcome, this seems like a great forum. I have been checking out some of the project/build threads for ideas, you guys have some great cars.Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
You better keep that car hidden from us until you buy it! Don't under estimate our addiction...
Maltese Falcon
Welcome to the world and good luck Andy with the purchase, hope you get it!
Check out our little S6 on the home page of www.msdsinc.com
You gotta love that v10 happy11.gif
Marty
Spoke
welcome.png

Where abouts in the 'burgh are you? I work in Monroeville and I'm staying with my daughter in Regent Square.
76-914
QUOTE(Fast Company @ Oct 19 2012, 05:56 PM) *

It was born a 6, the original engine was replaced with a 2.4 at some point. As the negotiations develop I will have more specific info. We're trying to come up with a price that is fair to both buyer and seller. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The car is generally rust free with the exception of the rear panel in the rear trunk, just in front of the tail lights. The battery was moved to the front trunk years ago so the hell hole is fine.

If the rust is indeed confined to the rear panel; Otto had some for $75 but on the opposite coast sad.gif . If the rust carries onto the cross member or it's doubler then by the repair panel that has the top half of the cross member, http://www.restoration-design.com/Merchant...y_Code=914#P335. beerchug.gif
Fast Company
> You better keep that car hidden from us until you buy it! Don't under estimate our addiction...

I work in a vintage race shop, I understand the addiction... it pays my salary!

> You gotta love that v10

Actually mine is a 95 S6 Avant, so it is a 20v 5 cyl turbo (chipped) quattro 5 speed wagon, lowered with H&R/Bilstein HDs.

> Where abouts in the 'burgh are you?

I live in the SS Slopes, race shop is in Glenshaw (we service modern cars too).

I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me establish a value. I have a pretty good idea of what a mint concours 914/6 is worth. The race car mods prevent it from being financially worthwhile to go that route so I just want to de-tune it enough to use on the street. The car is solid, I am confident that it is an original 6 (although not the original engine). It was metallic green, painted silver/gray Imron around 1986. The interior has been mostly gutted, not sure what extra parts he may have in storage. Roll cage was cut into the dash. Fire suppression system plumbed in. I'm going to leave that stuff in, but will likely replace the Kirkey race seat. There's no carpet (solid floorpans) but the door panels and glovebox door are still present. The odo shows ~33K miles but is not accurate, not to mention that most of the miles have been at or near redline!

Now that I think about it, the "future previous owner" took me out for a few laps at Mid Ohio back in 1998 in this car. That's the fastest I have ever been *sideways* in a car. Basically the current configuration with R compound tires. I couldn't believe how flat it cornered. My neck still hurts!

So what do you think is a fair price?
hot_shoe914

It is really difficult to establish a price off just one photo. It would not be fair to you or the seller to make an uneducated guess. There are a lot of factors in determining a fair market value. Basically you just need to figure out what price you would be happy paying and then start someplace lower than that and work your way up until you both agree.

Just my .02 worth which in real money is probably only worth about 1% of that.

Shoe
SirAndy
QUOTE(Fast Company @ Oct 20 2012, 10:05 AM) *

Hard to say, but if it's as solid as you describe and running, i'd say anywhere in the $15k to $20k range ...

popcorn[1].gif

PS: welcome.png
Fast Company
Thanks, that's the range I'm thinking. I'm just trying to do my homework and make a reasonable offer considering it's condition, needs and provenance. He also has an aluminum open trailer, another exhaust system (no idea), extra set of black center 15" Fuchs wheels (silver center Fuchs on car now with ES100s), maybe some of the missing interior. Not sure what else. I asked him to think about a package price with or without the trailer.
Fast Company
To add a little eye candy, this car belongs to one of our racers.
Fast Company
Well I went out to look at the car again today. I also got a chance to speak with the race shop owner who has a list of needs that was prepared in 2008 before into storage. The list includes a tranny rebuild along with a comprehensive list of mostly mechanical bits and some cosmetic as well. I have to think it would be at least $10K assuming we don't find find anything additional. That does not include a paintjob. Or interior. Or rebuild carbs. Or...

Yeah I know, slippery slope.

Gratuitous sexy car photo attached.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.