Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Plaid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I have been looking an original sample for years. My car had blue tartan originally, but the seats were recovered long before I got it. SMS Auto Fabrics is happy to reproduce it if a sample can be provided. I sent them the jpg below, but they want an actual sample before they will make it.

Click to view attachment

So I have never seen an original sample until now. AA has this seat cushion for sale.

Blue plaid seat cushion

Click to view attachment

It is crazy expensive, but I am thinking about buying it to use as a sample for SMS. I am having a hard time justifying it if I am the only one who will ever buy this fabric.

So, if you are potentially interested, please respond. If it will benefit enough folks, I may take one for the team here.
Chris H.
Ken,

I would be interested if the price was reasonable, but don't buy it for just the two of us. My car is the same color as yours but I doubt it came with that option originally. It would look awesome though... Did SMS give you an estimate? It's a shame that cushion is priced so high. It's been on e-bay for (what seems like) years.... Maybe George would let you "rent" it for 2 weeks....

barndoor
I would be interested also.
Bartlett 914
Is it the color or the fabric / weave they are wanting to see? Maybe you can find a sample of actual material in a color that more easily available and let them use the color from the JPEG you have to make the fabric.
Mike Bellis
You may want to call George before you buy the cushion. He may want to get into the GB or he may allow you to borrow it. Even with all the scuttle butt about AA, George is very passionate about these little cars.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 20 2012, 07:26 AM) *

Is it the color or the fabric / weave they are wanting to see? Maybe you can find a sample of actual material in a color that more easily available and let them use the color from the JPEG you have to make the fabric.

They have the weave pattern, which is actually identical for all the plaids. I have sent them the jpg, but they want an actual sample due to the fact that trying to determine a color from a digital picture is subject to too many variables.

Truth be told, I would rather have the other blue with the tiny bit of green, but I will take what I can get.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 20 2012, 07:35 AM) *

You may want to call George before you buy the cushion. He may want to get into the GB or he may allow you to borrow it. Even with all the scuttle butt about AA, George is very passionate about these little cars.

Might be worth a shot. You never know...
bigkensteele
BTW, the last time I talked to SMS, the price was around $125/yard, and the common estimate is 2 yards for both seats, although I have also heard as little as one and as much as 2 1/4.
rnellums
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 20 2012, 12:45 PM) *

BTW, the last time I talked to SMS, the price was around $125/yard, and the common estimate is 2 yards for both seats, although I have also heard as little as one and as much as 2 1/4.

2 yards seems like way too much to me. Its a shame this didn't come up a few years ago. I had a set of seats with that plaid that I cut up. Come to think of it I might still have some.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

2 yards seems like way too much to me. Its a shame this didn't come up a few years ago. I had a set of seats with that plaid that I cut up. Come to think of it I might still have some.

Ross, I hope you aren't messing with me. All we need is a couple square inches, and they can do it. Let me know what you find!
ScoopLV
I am slightly interested. My interest level is inversely proportional to how crazy expensive it is. Shoot me a PM if this looks like it might come to fruition. Would this be period correct for a '74 Appearance Group?
rnellums
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 20 2012, 10:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Ross, I hope you aren't messing with me. All we need is a couple square inches, and they can do it. Let me know what you find!

If I have it, it is at my parent's home in NM. I'll give them a call a bit later and see if they still have that seat laying around. its not perfect (see photo) They also seem to be a slightly different color pattern, but are stock from a 74' Olympic blue car.
dlkawashima
Might be of interest to you guys with plaid interiors. Post #8 matches the plaid interior pattern to the exterior color of the car .....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=78653&st=0
VoPo914
I would be interested if the material was identical to the seat George has.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 22 2012, 09:52 AM) *

Might be of interest to you guys with plaid interiors. Post #8 matches the plaid interior pattern to the exterior color of the car .....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=78653&st=0

Thanks! I had seen that before but could not find it recently. That confirms that my car should have 48 rather than 80, which is what is being sold on ebay.
buck toenges
I bought some psychedelic checker pattern fabric, that was used in the late 70's and early 80's on 924's and 928's, from a place in the u.k. I think rick with the 914 alien might have info on the place. Maybe the company has some plaid. I know they had different colors of the checker fabric.
Buck
bigkensteele
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Oct 22 2012, 05:18 PM) *

I bought some psychedelic checker pattern fabric, that was used in the late 70's and early 80's on 924's and 928's, from a place in the u.k. I think rick with the 914 alien might have info on the place. Maybe the company has some plaid. I know they had different colors of the checker fabric.
Buck

Yeah, I love that fabric. I think that it is called Pascha, but I doubt that my spelling is correct. The first time I ever saw it was when my mom took a picture of a 911 from their hotel balcony while visiting Germany in the late '80s. I have loved it ever since, but I can't copy the Alien!
Elliot Cannon
That looks like a pair of golf pants my Father-in-law had back in the 80's. lol-2.gif
barndoor
Any Blue Plaid Progress ?
an86carrera
QUOTE(barndoor @ Nov 2 2012, 07:35 PM) *

Any Blue Plaid Progress ?

I have the blue plaid that the original poster is looking for in my interior. It is very faded and beginning to tear in a few places. I could cut a swatch from under the seat cushion for a sample. I would love to replace the cloth in my 75 too so woulod be in for a yard or two.

Click to view attachment
Dasnowman
Not sure if this would help you guys out but I would like a couple of yards of the #45 Bright Red Plaid

Pm me if you would like me to join.
DBCooper
I think I just saw that material for sale, all those samples, while looking for German basketweave. They still use it in VW busses and Westies, and it's not that expensive. No guarantee, I didn't look that closely because I don't like it myself, but I'm pretty sure. Let me try to find the link.
DBCooper
Yeah not quite the same, but if you can live with it it's only about $40 a yard. Here, Wolfsburg West:

IPB Image

MadMattz:

IPB Image

GoWesty.com

IPB Image

Bus Depot:

IPB Image

What I saw was a different website with probably fifteen different plaid samples. Can't find it now, though, sorry.

rick 918-S
This is in the classifieds.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=207022

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.