Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Touareg
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Anybody have firsthand experience with this vehicle and more importantly (to me, not the wife who mainly wants comfy seats and Nav system and rear DVD for Boy®) have you towed with it? I'm talking about medium-duty towing i.e. an open steel trailer with a 914, and the back of the vehicle stuffed w/ crap. I fully realize a big enclosed trailer ain't gonna happen with a relatively light/SWB vehicle like this.

Apparently a 5L V10 diesel is coming, which should be pretty sweet in terms of torque and fuel economy.

A pickemup truck is not an option as whatever we get will be wifey's daily driver and will need to haul kids, clients, roadtrip gear, etc. "inside". But whatever we get also needs to be able to do tow and/or roadtrip duty 15-20X a year, safely, reliably and efficiently.
Mueller
a few things about the diesel:

$10K+ price premium and last i read, no California model (I think you can get around this by purchasing a model out of state with 7500 miles on it)

I looked at the regular gas models, but the lack of gas mileage and the sticker price scared me wacko.gif
JB 914
I looked at those recently after my Suburban got stolen. It's basically a Cayenne. In fact, i'd bet they are made in the same plant. just my guess.

They were pricey and not that roomy. A bit more than i wanted to spend, so, i didn't go for the drive.

I opted for a Nissan Armada. Lots of room and all the comfy stuff the wife looks for. Can tow 9100lbs.

For the $$ you can get alot more SUV in other models. JMHO
Mark Henry
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Nov 1 2004, 03:12 AM)
I looked at those recently after my Suburban got stolen.  It's basically a Cayenne.   In fact, i'd bet they are made in the same plant.  just my guess.

What... are you saying it's a NARP....god forbid. rolleyes.gif
Jeffs9146
wife who mainly wants comfy seats

I found the seats to be firm and uncomfortable!

Jeff
seanery
Our PCA region's Lead Instructor tows his 87 Carrera with his. We don't have the grapevine here, but he said he loves it.
cnavarro
I had one, loved it, except it had the bad driveshaft problem where the steering wheel wobbles ALOT at any speed over 45mph and after 7 trips and about 3+ weeks of the car in the shop, I told them to shove it up the a** and I got myself an Audi TT 3.2 with the DSG. Hell, it can't hold that much stuff, but it's a blast to drive on the back roads. 8222 miles in 4 months :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
TimT
A guy in my PCA region tows with his Tuareg, he has a trailex trailer, and is pulling a 944T, his only complaint is fuel mileage when he tows
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.