Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake reservoir cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
Looking at my brake reservoir it looks like it was designed to have a cover.
I also see my reservoir cap has a small breather hole in the top, it tends to over flow into the top tray. I have to clean the tray out from time to time and
don't like the Idea of this fluid sloshing out on to my paint.
It looks like the top of the cap could have had a rubber hose connected but broke off. confused24.gif I have never seen a 914 reservoir with a cover or cap with a tube. Am I missing something?
TheCabinetmaker
At least your "brakes" didn't "break"
type47
I have seen a cap; in fact, I have one on one of my cars. Don't think it was "factory". 914 brake fluid reservoirs do not have an overflow tube to the best of my knowledge. Some 911's do (911SC does, maybe others). That causes surprises to 914 owners who help pressure bleed Carerra brakes and when they crack open the bleeder valve, nothing comes out .... until they look under the car and see the puddle of brake fluid! If there is an overflow tube on the reservoir, you can (probably MUST) clamp it when you pressure bleed it.
dlee6204
IIRC early cars had a vent for the reservoir.

Click to view attachment

My car also has a cover but I believe those were aftermarket? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
If it overflows, you're overfilling it.

The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
I have them on both of my cars, and they were an aftermarket item. Can't remember who carried them, but I think I got them from the late, lamented PB Tweeks many years ago.
ruby914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 21 2012, 01:33 PM) *

At least your "brakes" didn't "break"

smoke.gif It's great to have a spell check and an Editor, got that all fixed up.
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 21 2012, 01:39 PM) *

IIRC early cars had a vent for the reservoir.

Click to view attachment

My car also has a cover but I believe those were aftermarket? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Wonder why not on late cars?

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 21 2012, 02:30 PM) *

I have them on both of my cars, and they were an aftermarket item. Can't remember who carried them, but I think I got them from the late, lamented PB Tweeks many years ago.

I need to keep my eye out for one, looks like a good product to have.
Thanks.

gothspeed
I recall getting these brake reservoir covers from Performance Products over fifteen years ago. I don't know why they stopped making them.
Cevan
Got one.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
They were never a factory item. They were in from the aftermarket suppliers of the time. Performance Products, Tweeks, Automotion to name a few. Around $10 in the late 80's early 90's.
rhodyguy
i have one on the 73'
1970 Neun vierzehn
It was my understanding that the brake fluid reservoir was designed with an overflow fitting w/a tube attachment that ran down below the pan, although I've seen some 914s w/o the tube confused24.gif

Paul
914Sixer
Tube was only on early cars(70-72). It was deleted in 73 when the reservoir design changed and vented cap was installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.