Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble Shooting 1975 914 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Oregon74
914 world has walked me through the valley of the shadow of 914 death. I now fear no electrical.

However, now that she starts, she dies in about 20 seconds. Before I chase it all over I thought I'd ask for some help.

Thanks

Oregon74
Black22
Is the Air Flow Meter hooked up? The electronic box connected to the air filter box. It should have a 6 or 7 pin connector. Mine will do this if I have been fooling around and forget to hook it up before I try to start it.
Oregon74
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 21 2012, 02:17 PM) *

Is the Air Flow Meter hooked up? The electronic box connected to the air filter box. It should have a 6 or 7 pin connector. Mine will do this if I have been fooling around and forget to hook it up before I try to start it.

It is.

I found a cracked plastic 90 degree fitting. I just replaced it with hose and secured it. No air leaks. It still stalls at 20 seconds.

I'm following all hoses around for leaks incase this has something to do with vacuum.

I wonder if someone turned the adjustment screw on the AFM too far. I keep turning it looking for a sweet spot, but still same result
Black22
QUOTE(Oregon74 @ Oct 21 2012, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 21 2012, 02:17 PM) *

It is.

I found a cracked plastic 90 degree fitting. I just replaced it with hose and secured it. No air leaks. It still stalls at 20 seconds.

I'm following all hoses around for leaks incase this has something to do with vacuum.

I wonder if someone turned the adjustment screw on the AFM too far. I keep turning it looking for a sweet spot, but still same result

Ok,
Still could be AFM, but a BIG vacuum leak will stall the engine and a small one raises the idle.

Before messing with the adjustment screw on the AFM, I would adjust the air bypass screw on the throttle body to keep it running. Adjust to 800-900 RPM. Clockwise for lower rpm and CC for higher rpm.

The AFM adjustment is for lean/rich adjustment at idle, not for idle speed(rpm). Hopefully you took note of where the AFM screw was at before you adjusted it. If you have an AFR gauge then your good. All AFM adjustments need verification while manipulating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.