Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper hell!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Well, it seems like Chrissie (my little red car is too cute to be called Christine) needs a new bumper. A friend of mine discovered the bumper is not straight, and since I've been looking for a bumper pad and they're not exactly cheap...

Any thoughts on how much a new bumper would cost? or has anyone had experience bolting up the 916 replicas?
Aaron Cox
painted or chromed? bumper tits or not. 75 or 76?

fiberglass can be a royal PITA to make fit.
search tweeks, PP, HPH, ottos, steve stromberg, etc

they know what they cost
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 31 2004, 09:27 PM)

search tweeks, PP, HPH, ottos, steve stromberg, etc

they know what they cost

English, please???? Remember I'm a newbie. First time in a P car and still unable to drive it after a month.
Aaron Cox
www.tweeks.com
www.pelicanparts.com
www.gprparts.com

steve stromberg has a few for sale evryonce in a while 'type 4' is his handle on this sight
Carlitos Way
So what's this about "Tits"?
boxstr
Looking at your avatar it would be the black things sticking out from the chrome bumpers, youcould also call them "bumper guards", they do more damage if they get hit.
CCLINTANDA
Carlitos Way
Oh.. so you mean to tell me my car has tits and no bra?
boxstr
Just flappin in the wind.....
CCLINGASFORTITS
DrifterJay
First time in a P car and still unable to drive it after a month.....going on two years....ROFL...hahahahah laugh.gif
sanglee007
3 years 5 minute drive.

smog sucks.

Sang
Mueller
the 'glass bumpers do not "bolt-on", some fabrication/tweaking will be needed...they also offer 0 protection compared to your current bumpers....I'd rather have to replace/repair the bumper than the bodywork on my car smash.gif

the steel bumpers can be repaired depending on how badly bent they are...new and used top rubber pads can be found as well, no need for an entire assembly unless you really, really want one.
Carlitos Way
I would really love to keep the original bumpers... but it might be easier to buy one ready to go... so.. does anyone suggest any source for "cheaper" bumpers?
Jeroen
call HPH
www.highperformancehouse.com

or check the classifieds here
iamchappy
Check Ebay, I purchased a very nice one for about the same money as glass.
SLITS
A chrome / bumper shop should be able to make it "concours" for about $200 - $250 - check your yellow pages.
Joe Bob
GPR gets them refurbished....and sells them if you have a decent core they will take it in partial trade....

www.gprparts.com
boxstr
From personal experience, Concours bumpers cost $500 each to have done. Triple plating, cleaning,straightening,.
Then top rubbers, I spent $175 each at the 2003 German Autofest from GPR. I think they now cost $195-200 each???
Then once you have new rechromed bumpers, you don't want to install those ugly ratty looking foglite grilles. Dealer item, $105 each.
So figure $1500 for "CONCOURS" front and rear chrome bumpers. If you can get it done for less, go for it.
One thing to remember, if you take shitty,bent,rusty, chrome bumper into a chrome shop, don't excpect to get back a perfect bumper. It won't happen, I don't care what they say. Ask me how I now..
Don't buy painted bumpers and take them to a chrome shop and ask them to chrome them. The painted bumpers will be full of dents and holes and the chrome shop has to remove all of that bondo first, then you have a junk bumper that is only good for painting.
All of this come from having BTDT.
Good luck.
CCLINOREGONPLATING
Look for a parts car-or someone selling one from a parts car, both the front and rear are very easy to take off and put back on, you dont want a fiberglass one-they never fit right, offer 0 protection and will chip and crack the first time you tap something or get bumped in a parking lot.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.