Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS connection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roygar
I have the engine back in the car and I've connected all the wiring, fuel lines and vacuum hoses. The engine turns over but sputters and won't start. I have spark, fuel, but have not checked the fuel line pressure. One thing I noticed when connecting my wiring harness, the injector plugs and the MPS plug have chamfers for, I assume, one way fit. But mine will just as easily plug in either way. Can someone direct me to a photo, detail, or description of the right orientation?
TheCabinetmaker
Injector plugs can go either way. I think its the same for the mps. The fuel lines can get crossed and cause a no start condition.
76-914
did you connect your cht? yes, the injectors don't care. as for the mps; I'd have to check it, can't remember.
pilothyer
I am pretty sure it does matter which way the MPS connector is connected. The MPS when viewed from the top has the connector numbered from left to right 7, 8, 10, 15...........The harness connector should be inserted with the bevels down which should orient pin # 7 on the left.
cary
Ditto on Jerry's comment.

I have the #7 marked on the white plug. I can see the #7 embossed in the MPS.
JeffBowlsby
It makes no difference, it is not a polarized connection. As long as it's firmly seated it's fine.
rick 918-S
Check to see you have the fuel flow in the correct direction. If the regulator is on the wrong side of the fuel flow it may fire but no run at all.
roygar
Thanks, Jeff, and everyone. CHT is connected, but I'll check the wire to see if it might have a break. I'll check all connections to be tight. Fuel flows from pump to passenger rail as shown in Dave Darlings 2.0 diagram. I'll try again tonight with some starting fluid. My throttle cable is not connected yet. At what position should I hold the throttle for starting? Wide open, half open, or closed?
thompson-mfr
You shouldn't need to hold the throttle open at all. That is one of the creature comforts of FI.
cary
Trigger point connector on the distributor ?

Then the most important connections. The grounds for the FI harness under the throttle body.
roygar
I sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle valve, cranked it and it ran for 20 sec. Then backfired out the top. Did the same thing, 3 times. Inside the throttle valve it was wet with fuel. Appears to have a bad timing issue. I adjusted the valves, but I didnt move the distrbutor when the engine was out. What else? What is the trigger point connector?
76-914
I don't think you have an issue w/ trigger points or anything else electrical. If it starts and ran after spraying starting fluid I would look at a fuel delivery problem. Crossed return/pressure line; crap in tank or clogged fuel sock or fuel filter; fuel pump -what pressure are you seeing and is the pump running? Do you have the flow chart to check your fuel pump circuit?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.