Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Linkages - How do They Work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Reverse 1st 2nd 3rd work great.

Problem is not going into 4th and 5th
How does the linkage work?
Is it where it extends on each gear?
Is there a way to check the linkage?
Can you lift out the gear shift linkages and visually or test them?
Should I look at the part on the transmission and see or test anything?
Thanks
GeorgeRud
There are a lot of adjustments in the linkage, and you may have some things misaligned. Did it go into 4th and 5th before, what changed? Was any work done the linkage? Are the bushings in good shape?

If in doubt, you can disconnect the linkage and check whether you can engage all the gears at the gearbox, then work your way back.
Dr Evil
Sounds like a linkage issue. Do as discussed and get back to us.
balljoint
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Oct 22 2012, 10:37 PM) *

Reverse 1st 2nd 3rd work great.

Problem is not going into 4th and 5th
How does the linkage work?
Is it where it extends on each gear?
Is there a way to check the linkage?
Can you lift out the gear shift linkages and visually or test them?
Should I look at the part on the transmission and see or test anything?
Thanks

This is too many questions to process. You should make each one a separate thread.

smile.gif
76-914
Ignore him. One of the Hall Monitors will be along shortly. Look at the u-joint bushings next to the firewall while your checking the set screws
walterolin
Try again on the second one:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm

Rotary'14
Before you start tearing things apart,, it might be a simple fix. You should check to make sure all your bushings are in good shape,, on the shift rod, at the shift console of the trans, and beneath the shifter. I would also make sure the cone screws are tight. there is one at the firewall side and one at the shift console on the transmission. If one of your cone screws back out a bit it will make the shifting sloppy/or impossible to get all gears.

-Robert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.