Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 D-jet goes from tune up to rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jesco Reient
Well the trail of events and inspection has finally led me to split the case order new P&Cs, rebuild the heads, I will most likely keep the D-Jet since I have inspected all the components and rebuilt the wire harnesses. With a Steve Long Hydraulic cam and and 2056 displacement are what I'm thinking right now. Any thoughts?
JamesM
A few thoughts on hydo lifters/cam grinds

I had a hydo cam/lifters put in mine when I was still using it as a daily driver, ran great, still does aside from the occasional lifter bleed down. Now its only used for autocross and i keep wishing something would break so I have an excuse to tear the damn cam out. I had read all the complaints before going with the hydro setup but i figured losing some top end was worth not doing valve adjustments, and for the first 7 years it was. What i didnt quite get though during the decision process is that with hydro lifters its not just that you lose some top end power, you just lose top end all together. In my case its right around 5k and it just stops revving completely. Plenty of power up to 5k, feels like more power than my solid lifter 2.0s, but cuts completely at 5K almost like a rev limiter, REALLY annoying when there is not enough time for shifting to make sense and you are forced to just ride it bouncing at 5k. Less power I could deal with as I would still be accelerating, just slower, but this makes me want to pull my hair out! Its that frustrating!

With the newer components Jake and others have been using that allow for easy 0 lash adjustments, I dont think i would put hydros in another 914 motor. I would do it in a Bus, but you may want to drive the hell out of your 914 someday, and with the hydros you wont be able to.

Just something to think about
Jesco Reient
Thank you for the input on the Hydraulics that would suck more than adjusting the lifters. anyone else?
Tom
When I purchased mine it had hydraulics. I have the same lifter leak down if I don't start it up every few days. However, it pulls strongly to redline in every gear except 5th. I can't affort that ticket, even tho' it feels like it would keep pulling. I do have a smaller diameter rear tire 195/55/15's, so that could make a difference.
Do I wish mine had hydraulics? NO. So far the noisy valves upon start up have caused no problems that I have seen.
Tom
Cap'n Krusty
READ THIS! D-jet doesn't like nearly ALL non-stock camshaft grinds! Don't make the mistake of expecting ANY other-than-stock grind to deliver anything remotely like stock driveability. Common issues include running pig rich at idle and transition from idle to cruising. I won't even get into the drawbacks of hydraulics ...............

The Cap'n
'73-914kid
Build it with chromoly pushrods, elephant feet adjusters, and solid lifters. Valve adjustments are quick by setting them at zero lash, and the valve adjustment interval is closer to 8-12k miles instead of 3k miles. I had hydraulic lifters, and hated them. Even as a daily driver they would bleed out and sometimes take a long time to pump back up.

I have no input on djet though, i think jake raby sells a cam for 2056s that will run djet.
76-914
Listen to Ethan and El Cap't. It will idle rich but who idles that much. Transition is snappy. I watched Ethan struggle w hydraulics for a couple of years. I think Rabies quit selling his cam but web cam sells it. You'll need the 1.7 valve train which Ethan is selling in the FS: classifieds, here. I've got one of each. The all stock is very comfortable to dry and less quirky. My other is calmed and is driven 3 times more than the stock one. Drive ability vs HP
Jesco Reient
Thank You guys for the input.
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.