Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
I still have to remove the transmisson, but where is a good place to bolt up a chain to lift the engine in to my engine stand?
That Tangerine Racing engine cradle works good

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Spoke
disconnect the trans, get 2 friends and lift it up. It isn't that heavy.
Black22
agree.gif
Valy
You have to take the transmission off to mount the engine stand.
2 people can handle the motor.
I have a winch bolted to the roof and use 2 seatbelts around the cylinders to raise the engine.
brant
if you do need to use a hoist...
wrap tow straps around it rather than a chain.

McMark
agree.gif just attach the yoke to the engine then lift it.

And make sure you don't set the straps on the pushrod tubes unless you plan on buying new ones anyway.
Cupomeat
I used to use the through bolt right inside of the oil tower and the through bolt right near the bell housing to lift up a T4 Motor using a come-along.

Whatever works, so it doesn't get dropped.
Jgilliam914
I have bolted the yoke to the engine and have had my wife hold the stand and I wrestled that bastard before in myself so two guys can handle it easy!
cary
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 24 2012, 08:38 AM) *

I used to use the through bolt right inside of the oil tower and the through bolt right near the bell housing to lift up a T4 Motor using a come-along.

Ditto .................. I'm usually by myself. So I use a cherry picker.
rwilner
I did not have a come along or cherry picker, so I built a simple reinforced plywood platform, bolted it to 2 identical floor jacks and lifted it up to the engine stand that way. I was able to wrestle the motor onto the platform since it was only a few inches off the ground.

A nice bonus was that the platform served as a good work surface during teardown to place tools, parts, fasteners, etc.
worn

Bolting the yoke or whatever you use to the engine first is a big plus. Then you just have to slide it into the stand. We also discovered you can go a step farther. Bolt the yoke on and then flip the stand over on its side so you can insert the engine into the stand sleeve. Then pick the whole mess up. The stand isn't all that heavy, swings around so the wheels are pointing down, and you just set the whole thing on the ground. Saves the alignment trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.