Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 Fuel Pump Location rust.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flyloki
So I'm looking at a '72 with rust in the former fuel pump location. I can't really tell by the pic but it looks like it's in the long. What's your opinion on the severity?
Aaron Cox
that looks like the hell hole....
Bleyseng
The hole is in the engine shelf (easy fix) but you need to look at the top of the long and the wheelhouse.

Geoff
flyloki
Supposedly the top of long and console are in good shape....

So the pump was hung upside down on the shelf?
IronHillRestorations
You need to check the area with an ice pick. Poke as hard as you can and see if it goes through anywhere, if it does then your in deeper, if not and the car will only see "normal" use, you should be OK. From the photos either you've got some pretty good pitting, or someone has gooped stuff over more serious corrosion.

You don't want to put the fuel pump back in the original location, it causes it to vapor lock from heat build up in that area. You've got two options; put it on the lower firewall, move it up front. Up front is the best solution as the Bosch pumps work better pushing than pulling the fuel.

A engine shelf should fix your problem if you don't have any further rust problems. PM me, I think I've got one in stock.

PK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.