Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RAW914
New to the site and in the process of restoring my first 914. I want to have my 2.0 liter rebuilt to better than stock performance. I plan on using this car as a daily driver. Any recommendations or suggestions of where I may send this for a rebuild would be appreciated.
seanery
there are some fine talents with the type IV. Others will ask, so I may as well.

-what kind of power are you looking for?
-Fuel Injection or Carbs?
-What's your budget?
-Gonna do it yourself or willing to spend $ to get it done?
-Autocross or DE's in your future?
RAW914
no auto cross or DE'S in my future. I am looking for good perfomance with reliability and reasonable longevity. I have a 45 minute commute on the highway and although won,t drive it everyday would like to let her run on occassion. I would like to have somone do the rebuild this time and figure to spend in the $5500 range for what I want. I have heard fuel injection is better if you know what your dealing with, but I have no problem with carbs either.
Demick
Jake Raby (Raby's Aircooled Technologies) is probably about 200 miles from you in Cleveland GA. He can pretty much build you any kind of motor you can imagine.

Demick
william harris
Didn't mention the 8 month back log with Raby. Maybe he is too good! biggrin.gif
mudfoot76
What do you mean when you say good performance? The stock 2.0 only puts out about 95 HP. If you want to keep things stock, and are going to have someone else do the work, $5500 is a good ballpark starting estimate.

I just got my 2.0L back from a rebuild. Totalling up all the parts and labor, it was close to your $5500.
Mark Henry
A stock 2.0 is not too bad powerwise.

If your a DIY'er $5500 should get you most of the way on a nice 2056cc.
Most likely be a bit more depending on fuel and exhaust system choices.
wannateener
the black car , 76 2.0 driver just came back to us as a 2056 after a complete rebuild. all the stuff, balanced , new cam and lifters, new valve seats new valves,springs , seals ,major head work, freshed starter.alternator,
remove , install ,tune , aux oil cooler and thermostat. 119 hp on the dyno and we expect more. the smog pump drive is still broken, darn it! still passes cali smog spec.
$4892.15
12,000 mile/18 month war.
if you want a driver this is the ticket.

jt & miss mari
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.