Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR POLL - time to pick a date / Place CLOSES NOV 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Just for clarification please note May 23rd - 26th is Labor day weekend

We've been trying to put together track time and make it pencil out, if we stay in the Gorge. 1st we need a date so we can all start making plans. We had planned the gorge as we hoped to get into the Oregon Raceway. It still may happen, but we would need to piggyback in with another group.

There's may things we can do there -
http://columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Pla...er_highway.html

The hwy is a good drive.
Other points of interest include-
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/
I'm thinking a group photo of 914's at Stonehenge would be cool.
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/Visit/Do/Sto...engeDetail.html
There's also lots of BEER

http://brewpublic.com/beer-reviews/destina...-in-hood-river/

And we still may be able to have a track event.

As you can tell I favor the Gorge. But, we can make Medford a destination if it helps more SoCal members make it. We can look at track time after the 1st of the year in Medford, it's possible we could have track time.

So lets see where we stand!

I'll leave this open til Nov 4th, so vote please!
jcd914
June 9th - 12th is a Sunday thru Wednesday, interesting choice of days?

"The Gorge" sounds like the place to go but how much farther travel time from California is "The Gorge" compared to Medford?

Jim

Mikey914
About 335 miles 6 hrs aprox driving time (maybe less) biggrin.gif
http://www.distancebetweencities.net/hood-...edford_or/route

It's closer to Seattle, but further from LA.

That's the delima, we want to draw as many folks as possible, just trying to make it as convienient for as many people as possible, and make it fun, but we need to make some decisions that affect us all. My thought is that to get the best place and time for as many of us as possible.

And by the way, I will be putting up about $1000 in swag that you will have ot be there to get.
NORD

Any place, just not Memorial Day weekend weekend driving.gif
Mike Bellis
June works better for those with kids... Like me...

I picked the Gorge but I will follow any 914... biggrin.gif
drgchapman
Mark,
Maryhill winery has a the Maryhill Loops rd that hill climbs are run on. Great venue for racing. ORP is awesome, been there many times, love that track. The major hurdle is acquiring insurance for a stand alone event.

Probably want to avoid Memorial weekend for the event.

Let me know if I can help organize up the track portion, I have some experience at this, as well as contacts. I'm on the ORPCA Board of Directors. My HPDE chairwoman would love to have our group join one of her ORP events if we scheduled same weekend. Track days cost about $250/day. She will be putting in for dates pretty soon.
drgchapman
Here is a link to a video of this years event at Maryhill Loops rd.
[url= http://vimeo.com/51577249]http://vimeo.com/51577249[/url]
Mikey914
Sweet video. Impressive road.
Yes, there are a lot of cool places, and there's less rainfall than Portland.
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate.php?location=USOR0162
http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united...oregon/medford/
Both are about the same.
strawman
Okay, now I've got a solid goal to finally get my Suby-powered teener running-n-driving. I've got fuel pressure and spark, now I just need to figure out why it ain't working in conjunction...

I voted for early June so that my family can join us this year. But I'll make it happen whatever weekend is ultimately chosen. I'll also bring a keg of homebrew.

Geoff
biosurfer1
I think you meant May 23-26 is Memorial Day weekend...either way and wherever, I'll be there!
Mikey914
Hard to believe it's evenly tied for the date so far blink.gif
JRust
I vote for June but like the 13th-16th. Thursday-Sunday has been kid of the standard. With most everything happening friday & saturday. Sunday -Wednesday just seems weird confused24.gif . Means more days off work for most. I don't see many track days happening then either. With the exception of the sunday that is. Be tough to have the event start with everyone arriving at the autoX.

Anyway I don't care it's in my neck of the woods & I will make either date work biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
My Son is getting married on June 15th. If the WCR is that weekend, it will be the first one I have missed since 2004. If I am not there with you, I will be thinking of you all while I'm getting shit-faced at the wedding. drunk.gif av-943.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 24 2012, 10:45 PM) *

I vote for June but like the 13th-16th. Thursday-Sunday has been kid of the standard. With most everything happening friday & saturday. Sunday -Wednesday just seems weird confused24.gif . Means more days off work for most. I don't see many track days happening then either. With the exception of the sunday that is. Be tough to have the event start with everyone arriving at the autoX.

Anyway I don't care it's in my neck of the woods & I will make either date work biggrin.gif
Did I mess up on this? I did intend Thurs-Sun June 13-16 is a Thurs to Sum on my calender for 2013. I intended to keep this on the same format.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 25 2012, 10:17 AM) *

My Son is getting married on June 15th. If the WCR is that weekend, it will be the first one I have missed since 2004. If I am not there with you, I will be thinking of you all while I'm getting shit-faced at the wedding. drunk.gif av-943.gif

I would hate to not have you here also, We're trying to accomidate as many as we can, I hope it's the weekend before for your sake.
-Mark
Eric_Shea
So... Medford (last year) or Columbia River Gorge are the two choices?

How's about mixing it up a bit? LA'ish? San Diego? Ventura Co.?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 25 2012, 09:37 AM) *

I've been smoking a lot of crack lately E, but I could have sworn we were in Monterey last year. blink.gif
biosurfer1
You are smoking crack...this year (2012) we were in Monterey, last year (2011) was in Medford:)
Eric_Shea
Oh yeah... sorry... those events were so memorable. bootyshake.gif
BKLA
I was hoping that Gary would chime in as I think the idea of sharing a track day with the local porsche club would be cool and a way for those who want to enjoy a track day experience on one of the weekend days.

Mark, Jamie and I have briefly discussed the possibility of a lunch out at the track on that Saturday. We can plan a "follow the leader" 2 or 3 parade lap tour of ORP during the track day lunch break.

We have also looked into a tour route that provides some of the best twisty bits in the area that leaves from the Dalles, Lunch at ORP and then back to the Dalles in a big loop. Either way, there would be something for you to enjoy and then a group lunch at the track. (I have a garage there that we can use as a meeting place biggrin.gif )
Rand
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 24 2012, 07:47 PM) *

I think you meant May 23-26 is Memorial Day weekend...either way and wherever, I'll be there!

Yup. Memorial Day is on Monday, May 27, 2013. Labor Day is on Monday, September 2, 2013

I recall several peeps saying they can't make it when kids are in school. Good to see a summer date taking the lead, but Fri-Sun would be easier for most.
biosurfer1
but Fri-Sun would be easier for most

Mark already mentioned that he messed up on the dates, its June 13th-16th, which is also Thursday-Friday so all of the dates are Th-Sun.
Eddie914
Anyone notice the 914 in the video that Gary Chapman posted?
Rand
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 25 2012, 12:43 PM) *

but Fri-Sun would be easier for most

Mark already mentioned that he messed up on the dates, its June 13th-16th, which is also Thursday-Friday so all of the dates are Th-Sun.

Doh! I missed that post. wacko.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 25 2012, 10:23 AM) *

Oh yeah... sorry... those events were so memorable. bootyshake.gif

slap.gif Where is the 'monkey-flicking-poo' smiley?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Oct 25 2012, 12:08 PM) *

Anyone notice the 914 in the video that Gary Chapman posted?

No. You'll have to try harder to get noticed I think... dry.gif
drgchapman
I have a call into our HPDE chair to see the ORP dates she is considering for next year. ORPCA will cover the insurance and track rental, BIG $$$. Our HPDE group runs a great program, all novice drivers to the track get a full day of instruction from National PCA certified instructors while running the track. That's most of you. The track is quite technical, tons of fun, top speed in my car is about 100mph. No big straightaways, just one turn after another. Great for 914's of all engine displacements.

See ORP track video HERE.

Click to view attachment
Rand
Sweet. Here's a map link:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=93811+blagg+...mp;t=h&z=15
Eddie914
Gary,

ORP with the ORPCA sounds like a great idea. Maryhill is a great venue with fairly low daily rental rates (IIRC $1000) but insurance is required and that could be a problem.

I have yet to run ORP. It is on my bucket list!
montoya 73 2.0
I chose summer time June 9th - 12th. I wont have the Teener but I will try to make this one.

I can try to help you if needed Mark, send me a PM.
drgchapman
Shoot, posted ORP counterclockwise.....they don't run it that way much anymore...really hard on the car, down hill braking areas galore, brakes get really hot.

Here is ORP clockwise
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 25 2012, 10:56 AM) *

I've been smoking a lot of crack lately E, but I could have sworn we were in Monterey last year. blink.gif

Monterey is not Southern California. When are we going to do Streets of Willow again?
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 27 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Monterey is not Southern California. When are we going to do Streets of Willow again?
popcorn[1].gif

When someone down there steps up to organize it. dry.gif

Usually, right after the event is completed someone steps up to organize the next year. This year, Mark said he would do next year. I think it might have even been at Monterey. I would seriously love to do Willow Springs but someone has to step up and organize. There has to be someone down there with the organizational skills of Joe or Howard (RIP). Anyone? Or are we just going to complain that it is always up North? slap.gif Are you volunteering for 2014 Steve? biggrin.gif
BKLA
Gary is conversing with ORPCA tying in with them on a track day. Unfortunately, the weekend of June 14-16 is RoseCup weekend and I don't think ORPCA DE will do one that weekend. I have asked the track management to assist in looking into other DE groups to see if we can tie with them. If no other group steps up, we may be able to tie it to an ORP Club date (if that date is selected by them.) Based on feedback, I am figuring from 5 to 10 cars for a track day. If we get more, great. But we need to be realistic with the group.

Hopefully Mark or Jamie can find the hotel and post more about that.
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2012, 11:49 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Usually, right after the event is completed someone steps up to organize the next year. This year, Mark said he would do next year. I think it might have even been at Monterey. I would seriously love to do Willow Springs but someone has to step up and organize. There has to be someone down there with the organizational skills of Joe or Howard (RIP). Anyone? Or are we just going to complain that it is always up North? slap.gif Are you volunteering for 2014 Steve? biggrin.gif

I'm just a whiner.... I wish I had time to help out. I attended the last two Willow springs events, but I was doing good to just show up for Willow Springs. I missed all the other activities. I would love to also go up North someday with a trailer and the wife, but soccer and other family activities prevent me from escaping.
Maybe someday....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 27 2012, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2012, 11:49 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I'm just a whiner.... I wish I had time to help out. I attended the last two Willow springs events, but I was doing good to just show up for Willow Springs. I missed all the other activities. I would love to also go up North someday with a trailer and the wife, but soccer and other family activities prevent me from escaping.
Maybe someday....

No problem, I would seriously love to get down there for an event. Someone will step up, you guys have some seriously good leader types down there. I think people have just been shy about trying to follow Howard and Joe's amazing events... One of these days I think we will get the gang back together and do another Tahoe event.
ScoopLV
I would prefer something a little later. Mrs. Scoop is a teacher, and that means she wouldn't have to take any time off. It would also get us out of Las Vegas during the worst of the heat. I would also prefer a coastal town. Newport, for instance. But I've never set foot in the state of Oregon. So I'd be interested in anyplace there. Although the Columbia River Gorge is a long haul for us -- I'd like to keep the vacation request time to a minimum.

But I will certainly try to make the event no matter where/when.
Mikey914
I'd love to have had someone step up and put this together, but it needs to get done. I'm looking to close out the poll Nov 1st. So far looks like the later date. I know I can't please everyone, so I figured I'd try to please the most by doing a poll.

Please if you wish to attend help us pick a date.
Thanks
Mr.242
Skamania Lodge.

That place is awesome! Great gathering space.
Black22
Unless one of these WCR's happens before Memorial Day weekend or after Labor day weekend, I'll NEVER be able to go!!! headbang.gif

Thems the rules at work! idea.gif Maybe I need a new job!
Mikey914
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 29 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Unless one of these WCR's happens before Memorial Day weekend or after Labor day weekend, I'll NEVER be able to go!!! headbang.gif

How much sick time do you have? Maybe you have an eye problem, like I need to go to WCR. biggrin.gif
Black22
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 29 2012, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 29 2012, 07:43 PM) *

How much sick time do you have? Maybe you have an eye problem, like I need to go to WCR. biggrin.gif

Over 200hrs!! But the boss knows me too well!
BKLA
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Oct 29 2012, 01:37 PM) *

Skamania Lodge.

That place is awesome! Great gathering space.

We could plan a meeting or party there, but the place is sold out may & june for rooms!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.