Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock oil switch pressure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
At what pressure does the stock type 4 oil switch light the idiot light?
2psi-ish?

Zach
Cupomeat
If I remember it was listed at 2.5psi, but I've heard it wasn't reliably calibrated.
JStroud
IIRC it's 7psi, but I could be wrong

Jeff
VaccaRabite
Hense the question.
I have heard everything from 2 psi to 8 psi. I'd like to nail it down, and don't have my shop manual in front of me.
Mike Bellis
Build a rig with a gauge and bicycle pump and test it.

What was it was originally and what it is now are 2 different things. If it is an original German part ~vs~ a Chinese copy... If they are not calibrated, then they will have an effective range of slop...

What's the underlying question? poke.gif
VaccaRabite
I need to replace my dual poll switch as it failed. I am considering just going back to an idiot light and using the spot my oil pressure gauge is in for an A/F meter.

At Aircooled.net there is a blurb that the dual poll switches turn on the idiot light at 8 psi, while stock switch operates at closer to 2 psi. I wanted to confirm that was for T4 as well as T1 engines.
McMark
The factory didn't even know. 2-6.4psi
VaccaRabite
Okay. That being the case I think it will ditch the pressure gauge and go back to the simple idiot light sender. Put an air/fuel gauge there.
Black22
Why would you only want find out you've lost oil pressure at 2psi ? Your engine is shot at that level. At least 8 psi gives you a split second longer to shut it down.

I guess I don't understand your logic.

A/F gauges are good for tuning, but don't NEED to be permanently installed on a DD. I'd take oil pressure any day over A/F mixture.

It's kind of like monitoring your personal caloric intake (energy taken in and burned) but not monitoring your heart and blood pressure. Both are important, but your not going to need to eat if your heart stops!

IMO, have both if possible or oil pressure if you can only have one.
cary
I've always heard 7.5 lbs .....................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.