Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: You like mechanic ? You will like this marvel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wHiddZOfa8

Watch in full screen and HD ^^^^^^^^

Mike Bellis
I had to turn it off after 14 min. How does the movie end? With Laser Printers?
SirAndy
thumb3d.gif

I used to work with a linotype. That was in the late '70s early '80s and bit more modern than the one in the video.

Good memories ...
smile.gif
ScoopLV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 24 2012, 10:21 AM) *

thumb3d.gif

I used to work with a linotype. That was in the late '70s early '80s and bit more modern than the one in the video.

Good memories ...
smile.gif

Those machines were so loud, newspapers commonly hired deaf people to operate them (and the press).
IronHillRestorations
My Dad was a lifetime member of the International Typographical Union, and worked at several newspapers. I remember seeing several of those in operation at a couple of the papers where he worked. Lots of moving parts in those dinosaurs, but very cool.
walterolin
The Berea College Press had a hot type machine up until about 1965, it was fascinating to watch. And the operator was close to deaf.

They also ran a very old Heidelberg letter press (which used the hot type), and it was a joy to listen to and watch. The press operator, Mr. Johnson, would fall asleep while it was running, but as soon as something made a funny sound, he was awake and paying attention. When Johnson took the press apart to clean it, he would put each bolt and each part back in the same place, even if they were interchangeable

This all gave way of course to offset printing.

914 content: The linotype had all of the numbers including a 9, a 1, and a 4.
crash914
I used one up until around 85 for check printing....cool stuff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.