Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joshporsche
what is this radiator looking thing next to the battery in a 914 1.7? (in shape of Rectangle)
Thanks!

I couldn't find a good picture of it- sorry
Mueller
wild guess??

the brain for the fuel injection or an aux oil cooler...

buying a haynes workshop manual would be a wise $20 or so investment smile.gif
Root_Werks
FI brain is correct. The little round knob on the top is to adjust the richness of fuel. yeah, go spend $20 on a manual. They are worth it. wink.gif Also post lotso questions here, we love to butt in,,,, I mean help out. laugh.gif
Joshporsche
Friday I purchased a '73 914. It's been sitting a couple years and needs to be brought back to life. What should i do first? oil change? Tune up?
Also what is a good battery but not overly expensive for my 914?

Whats the best work shop manual for a rookie?

Best place to get one?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joshporsche @ Nov 1 2004, 11:33 AM)
Also what is a good battery but not overly expensive for my 914?

optima, either redtop or orangetop ...

Whats the best work shop manual for a rookie?

Haynes

Best place to get one?

ebay?

cool.gif Andy
Root_Werks
You can do the usual. Yeah, change the oil and filter. Any $40 group 42 battery should work, but I would buy a $100 gelcel.

You know, I might get slammed for this one, but I usually just pop in a new battery, don't even change the fuel and crank them over until they fire off. Those 4cyl's are tough little engines and I swear (dam) 9 times out of 10, the fire off after cranking on them for a few seconds.

Check for fuel leaks while cranking.

You should hear a little buzz for a few seconds each time you turn the key to the ON position.

If it starts, try to keep it running for at least 10 minutes. ie - let it warm up a bit if you can.

driving.gif if you can.
SLITS
Hmmmm, a 2L aircleaner on top of a 1.7 - I don't think so!
Rhodes71/914
I would seriously look at the fuel lines before running the engine. When i got mine to finally run a little I had gas coming out of a couple of places. Easy and cheap fix. Other than that new plugs, wires, cap rotor to start. Then of course it will never end.
Joshporsche
yeah the green 2.0 is just a picture of someone elses car that i found.
Thanks for all the input.
Joshporsche
What kind of parts do you use for a tune up?
oil?
plugs?
wires?
cap?
type47
... if you're in Provo, you need to get in contact with a 914 owner who lives in SLC..... he has a -6 project going on and would be a wealth of info, (based upon his posts i've read.....) ..... seem to forget the name, however.... maybe posts on the bird board.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2004, 03:15 PM)
... if you're in Provo, you need to get in contact with a 914 owner who lives in SLC..... he has a -6 project going on and would be a wealth of info, (based upon his posts i've read.....) ..... seem to forget the name, however.... maybe posts on the bird board.....

eric shea?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.