Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: makes you go .... hummm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
It's too bad our care thrive only on Dino oil. Many threads and current research shows we will chew up the motor on new oil.

Yuum
drgchapman
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 24 2012, 01:32 PM) *

It's too bad our care thrive only on Dino oil. Many threads and current research shows we will chew up the motor on new oil.

Yuum

It's actually the addition of Zinc to the older oils, the zinc cushions the cam-rocker interface. New oils don't need the zinc as the cam-rocker materials/construction is different on newer engines.
messix
notice that porsche spec's 20,000 mile oil service intervals!!!!
worn
From a chemical standpoint I think they are right on target. Many of us are interested in the wash-out aspect though. The oil could be perfectly OK as a lubricant, but if it is loaded with particles with abrasive qualities, it is best to change them out. But we really have little data about whether or not those particles are there. If they are just carbon, they probably aren't very abrasive. Then you go down the list through aluminum dust and bearing powder - both soft metals, but hmm. Then steel, but that isn't falling off by itself. Then really hard materials such as stone dust and sand. So, the jury is out I would say. I remember reading about a Model T crossing the country with oil as clean as a whistle. Never changed the oil once! They added a quart every hundred miles or so to keep up with the leaks.
ConeDodger
Royal Purple has acceptable zinc content and is synthetic... 20W50 and you're good to go... Plus it's a cool purple color. biggrin.gif

Now to add to the discussion, We for the most part use our cars differently than most of the people considered in that article. Not many of us daily drive these cars. At that point you have to consider time and not miles as the benchmark. I use spring and fall as change points.

A friend of mine, who is a 914 guy who lurks here and has a high performance shop that works on BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. differed with the owners manual on my wife's Audi A4 2T. I think her manual said 10K miles but Ron said he uses a benchmark of 1000 miles per quart capacity. That cut the factory interval in half I think.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 24 2012, 01:32 PM) *

Yuum

I've been using synthetic oil (Mobil 1) for the past 25,000 miles with no problems. Of course the ceramic lifters help a bit I think. laugh.gif
brant
and I also use royal purple

be careful though... there are 2 different formulas of royal purple now
(well 3 actually with the race only oil)

their standard RP doesn't have the zinc
you need the HPS version.... or what ever its called.... the one with zinc and it puts it right onto the label.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.