Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Paso Robles, California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
My Wife volunteers at the Carnegie Library here and found this picture taken on 12th street in Paso Robles in 1955. Anyone recognize him?
Drums66
......J.D...550 smoke.gif
bye1.gif shades.gif
76-914
yep, sans the Porsche so it really isn't OT.
matthepcat
The building in the background looks a little different after the earthquake....at least if it is the same one I think it is.

I wonder why he would hang out in Paso...must have been nothing back then.......or I guess the only town to stop for a rest along the 46.
AZ914
Elliot, you looked so young back in '55!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 24 2012, 05:02 PM) *

The building in the background looks a little different after the earthquake....at least if it is the same one I think it is.

I wonder why he would hang out in Paso...must have been nothing back then.......or I guess the only town to stop for a rest along the 46.

It's called the "acorn" building and was completely destroyed during the earthquake. There was only one winery back then. I can't imagine why he stopped. It's a nice halfway point between LA and the bay area.
strawman
Cool, James Dean strolled the streets of Paso. Must not have been summertime, cuz he woulda shed the jacket and hat... or maybe it wasn't quite as hot back then. Damn climate change! lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2012, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 24 2012, 05:02 PM) *

It's called the "acorn" building and was completely destroyed during the earthquake. There was only one winery back then. I can't imagine why he stopped. It's a nice halfway point between LA and the bay area.

I was 5 blocks down when the earthquake happened. IIRC, The wall facing the street peeled away and crushed two people. I'm told the company I used to work for "Glenair" now leases that building. As a matter of fact, I believe it happened just after the "Governator" was put in office. He was there a day or two after, I have pictures somewhere of him walking around and a shaking hands.

Back then, Racers would stop to get gas and have dinner when they cut over From/To U.S. 99 (now Hwy 5) to Hwy. 46 then to Hwy. 101 on his way to or from Monterey/Salinas! My father-in-law grew up in San Miguel and said he would always see racers in town getting gas or at the restuarants.

Paso is a few miles from being geographically in the center from L.A. and S.F.

Maltese Falcon
Just a few clicks down the road from the town of Cholame.
We saw the JD memorial there while picking up our Sheridan widebody out in Paso.
Much Porsche content, Jimmy died on 9-30.
Marty
RFoulds
Paso Robles is notfar from where he died. About two milesfrom the meorial, out in afield, is the exact spot. I found GPS coordinates for it online once, now they are gone again.
in the field, were some remnants of old pavement, but hardly anything. the highway was relocated long after his death.

I was part of a small team that tried to get funding for a documentary on the missing car.

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 25 2012, 08:10 PM) *

Just a few clicks down the road from the town of Cholame.
We saw the JD memorial there while picking up our Sheridan widebody out in Paso.
Much Porsche content, Jimmy died on 9-30.
Marty

Here's a Sheridan "narrow body" at the memorial sign. bye1.gif Pretty sure I've posted it before. smoke.gif
ww914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2012, 01:51 PM) *

My Wife volunteers at the Carnegie Library here and found this picture taken on 12th street in Paso Robles in 1955. Anyone recognize him?

Nice photo Elliot. Here are a couple of shots of the James Dean Memorial I took when I had my Speedster replica at a car show at the Jack Ranch Cafe where the memorial is placed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.