IRP

Available - Oct 7th

Costs:
Corner Workers (6 necessary) $12/hour x 8 hours = $576
Ambulance $60/hour x 8 hours = $480
Track Rental $3000
Insurance $1800

Total $5856
Pricing assumes no rate increases and hinges upon their insurance underwriter's approval

Pros
A little closer to Indy
A little cheaper

Cons
Fuel sales - we pay for and need to get reimbursed by the driver getting fuel
Not the same "team" feeling the other place provides, more like a "we" and "them" thing (staff-wise)
Track NEEDS repair, and they told me so headbang.gif
Everything is OLD
NHRA owns the track, everything but Drag Racing is "filler"
Not sure if local drivers will fill field (if we want them to or not)
Turn 9 - We lost 5 cars in 1 day at this turn
Turn 15 - Someone moved a solid concrete barrier 15 yards that day
Most armco is not protected with hay or tires

IPB Image
(Mike 387.7341)
seanery
Putnam Park

Available -
Oct 7, 14, 21

Costs:
$7133 all inclusive

Total $7133

Pros
beautiful track
low impact on cars - turn 10 is really only turn with possible wall-smacking damage
great people to work with, you work with them, not just pay them
concession stand & goodie store
clean restrooms
can probably pick up local drivers to fill field

Cons
a little farther to get to Columbus
a little bit more money

IPB Image
(Chris 561.472.3599)
mudfoot76
Don't get me wrong, as I love PPRC. I just proposed IRP as a potential alternative. Having driven on both, I would pick PPRC anyday. Finding locals to fill out the field for putnam is not a problem, as we just proved this past weekend smilie_pokal.gif

But, if FFC '05 is based in Columbus, that is quite a distance for people to be travelling.
GaroldShaffer
Not to put a damper on this but IF we get 30 cars it would cost each car approx $237 just for the track stuff not counting the Hotel, gas, food, shirts and other misc stuff.

You think we could sell this to the club members?? I'm all for going on the track, but I think a AX event might be easier to sell confused24.gif Smaller chance of wading up your car and for people that have never done any sort of "racing" type of event going on the track might seem a little much. Sponsorship will help, but look at the hard time I had getting $$$. A lot of places were willing to donate a door prize but not cash.
seanery
Putnam is a popular track, getting filler is not a problem. Our event last week was sold out more than 30 days prior to the event. Unlike club racing, we actually make $ on a DE. Fridays, however, aren't as busy as Saturday. BUT, at CIR we reserve Fridays for Instructors so they can get their solo time before they are stuck instructing.

Our Chief Instructor, Curt DeVoe put 607 miles in this weekend! driving.gif That's a lot of seat time. My guess is, we could offer everyone about 2 hours + seat time on Friday. That's pretty good, especially compared to the 10 minutes an A/X offers. I bet we could probably get a sponsor for Friday's Track Time as well, not all of it though.
Engman
Small steps, small steps - this next year my vote is for an AX and then talk up a DE for the following year. Yes - you get more time in the DE, but the Ax will be a very cost effective and gradual step up to the DE. And

Turn 9 - We lost 5 cars in 1 day at this turn
Turn 15 - Someone moved a solid concrete barrier 15 yards that day

Not likely to happen in a DE.

Just my .002 worth.

M
GaroldShaffer
I have never done a DE event, so I can't compare the two. For me doing a track day is great, just not sure you would have people interested in doing this with their street cars? I think we also need to look at AXing possibilities?

What does a usual DE event cost to attend?
seanery
A weekend for us at Putnam runs about $300. I'm guessing that we could easily offer a $200 day, possibly less if we allow more cars. Pro Driving Group will let us share a day with them Sept 30, they charge their attendees (not us) approx $450/day but that includes 2 catered meals. Its kind of a rich guy club.
mudfoot76
Another thing to consider in either the case of DE or AX, is what about people who don't have helmets?

Bluegrass was very kind to loan 6 SA2000 helmets for "Intro to DE" riders this past weekend. As a club, could we (914club) pull that kind of a favor? In my personal experience with DE, when I first heard it only cost $300, I jumped at the chance. Then I realized I had to supply my own helmet, have my car inspected by a mechanic, etc before I could put one tire onto a circuit. In total, I think I actually spent about $1000 for my first DE experience. While much of that figure was a one-time cost (mostly the helmet and safety gear), I suspect that for your first AX, those one-time costs are similar. confused24.gif

I've never done AX before though, so I don't really know what's involved.
seanery
tech shouldn't have to be expensive if the car is cared for.
Most owners can tech their car before they arrive at the track.
What we do is the bare minimum....lug torque, brake fluid, no leaks, wheel bearing play, brake lights, etc...

Helmets could be a sponsorship thing, we're gonna have the same issue at the WCC, there is a DE there, too.
GaroldShaffer
I've never done AX before though, so I don't really know what's involved

I can only speak for SCCA, never done PCA AX event.
You can use M rated helmet, most tech is to make sure all loose stuff is removed from the car, check wheel bearing play, and helmet is at least 1995 M or SA . Also average cost per car is $20, some regions charge $25 for non SCCA drivers but if we could work something out with the local region.

The Indy region of the SCCA held a event in Walesboro, which, according to mapequest, is only 4 miles from Columbus. I could contact them about their 2005 schedule and see if we could work something out with them where they would schedule a AX there when we would be there. confused24.gif

edit: I forgot I did one PCA event but my helmet is SA rated. Not sure it they allow M rated helmets or not.
GaroldShaffer
Forgot to add that they used the airport at Walesboro.
mudfoot76
PCA requires SA rating, M ist verbotten
Pnambic
heh, I'm sure you can tell by my comment who has running 914's and who doesn't, but here goes...

It sounds like it might get pricey. Obviously, we don't know what sponsorship we'll be able to uncover yet, so who knows.

Most Pricey --> Putnam
Mid Range --> AX somewhere
Cheapest --> Whiteland Raceway Park

I know, I know, I know....they're not Porsche's, but...
  • They're a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • They're only 20-25 miles from Columbus.
  • Cars should be set up about the same, so competition should be close.
  • Safety gear is supplied.
  • We don't have to worry about tearing up our transportation home. Not all of us have a tow vehicle and trailer like Rich does. Imagine if something went wrong with Tommy914's ride....I'm pretty sure a 660 mile tow isn't covered by AAA.
Just an idea....flame-on!.... unsure.gif smile.gif beer.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Nov 2 2004, 02:25 PM)

Cheapest --> Whiteland Raceway Park

HEY!! Good idea! I had not even considered the karting possibility! mueba.gif

You do make excellent points about people possibly messing up their rides -- it is always a worry to me when I go out for DE. A place like Whiteland can be rented out so only club people run. They will even set up brackets for sprint racing. Or we could have our own 'enduro' there aktion035.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Pnambic
I really like that enduro idea biggrin.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Dan, you whimp wink.gif

That would be cool, plus the wives that attend could drive also. I know if we did a AX Julie would ride along with me, but she would never drive my car.

I really like this idea. clap56.gif
mudfoot76
Maybe some of us 'locals' can get together at Whiteland raceway and check this place out. I've been there once, but that was a few years ago. I can vouch for the high kart speeds. beerchug.gif

I didn't notice on the website if they close for the winter or not.
seanery
The owner's wife was a teacher of mine. That's Gary Lee of Channel 4, ESPN, and Prime Sports fame laugh.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Nov 2 2004, 02:25 PM)

I know, I know, I know....they're not Porsche's, but...
  • They're a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • They're only 20-25 miles from Columbus.
  • Cars should be set up about the same, so competition should be close.
  • Safety gear is supplied.
  • We don't have to worry about tearing up our transportation home. Not all of us have a tow vehicle and trailer like Rich does. Imagine if something went wrong with Tommy914's ride....I'm pretty sure a 660 mile tow isn't covered by AAA.

I think they're air cooled too! hahaha laugh.gif

Think you can use your "connections" there Sean to get us a discount? wink.gif
seanery
he wouldn't know me from adam wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.