Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodbye 997 RSR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
Sad. Porsche announced end of 997 RSR, and end of partnership with Flying Lizard.

http://www.sportssystems.com/novell/efx/em...ehost/AD176.pdf

VaccaRabite
Why sad?
ALMS is not even going to exist in 2014.
Porsche needs to develop the next car.
Flying Lizard, if they continue to exist in whatever ALMS becomes, will be able to run the newer car in 2014.
RFoulds
Sad because the 997 RSR was so incredibly good. and successful. And, they have a one year gap between the 997 and the 991 RSR, so a great development partner like FLMS is left to either flog the old car another year, or go with another manufacturer.

The line about ending the partnership seemed really abrupt, so I would gather they do not have a deal on the 2014 991RSR development, and that we might see Flying Lizard logos on the side of a Corvette in 2013.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 26 2012, 12:17 PM) *

Sad because the 997 RSR was so incredibly good. and successful. And, they have a one year gap between the 997 and the 991 RSR, so a great development partner like FLMS is left to either flog the old car another year, or go with another manufacturer.

The line about ending the partnership seemed really abrupt, so I would gather they do not have a deal on the 2014 991RSR development, and that we might see Flying Lizard logos on the side of a Corvette in 2013.

I agree, I'm a big Flying Lizard fan but struggle to keep up with ALMS news... so thanks for the heads up! Though I'm an equal fan of the C6R team, so it will be interesting to see what developments occur in the next 2 years!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 26 2012, 12:17 PM) *

Sad because the 997 RSR was so incredibly good. and successful.

Hmmm, I can't say I agree regarding "good" and "successful". It is/was a VERY well engineered/crafted machine and did have some success, but has always been hobbled by the drivetrain layout IMHO. As much as I am a HUGE Porsche fan, it was never close to being the class of the field (Or at least not for the past handful of years). It really can't compete with the Ferrari these days.

What I think is truly sad is that Porsche continues to use the 911 for GT racing and I think the news regarding the 991 car is not good. I know everyone is excited about the new 911, but I think it is just going to be generally more of the same. Additionally, with Porsche getting back into prototype racing at the same time, I wonder if they can really give the GT program the love it needs. If only they had given the Cayman the full RSR treatment. sad.gif

I am a FLM fan as well. It will be interesting to see what they do next year. Soldier on with the current car? Move to a different manufacture in GTE? Move up to prototypes? With 2013 being the swan song for ALMS, it makes it particularly difficult for them. If I was them I would probably soldier on with the Porsche until things become clear regarding the class structure for 2014 in the combined series.

Also there is no mention (yet) of what will happen to the FLM factory drivers (Long and Bergmeister)

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.