Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Someone Keyed my 930
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
WTF?

I noticed a scratch on the door of my 86 930; thought someone rubbed against it in the garage. That happens when you stuff 3 cars into a 2 car garage.

Then I realized the scratch was an "R". Son of a bitch. Someone keyed my car.

ar15.gif
Ferg
ar15.gif
Eric_Shea
Man... that poor car is fraught with mis-adventure. sad.gif
wingnut86
Sons a BEECHES!
914itis
Who's parking spot did you take at the mall?
GaroldShaffer
I just don't understand people. If you did that to their car they would be pissed, but it is ok for them to do it to yours. Reminds me of a girl at work back in the mid 90s. She just purchased a new corvette. Stopped at the mall on her way home from work. Came out a few hours later to find "NICE CAR" keyed in the hood. WTF chair.gif
timothy_nd28
That will buff right out! Maybe the guy was hinting towards you doing a rotary conversion
rick 918-S
It's totaled. Time to pull the engine for your 914. happy11.gif
stugray
Sorry to be the "dick" but typically to get Keyed you have to really Piss someone off.
You must have either parked like a dickhead or done something in traffic and they followed you.

I bet that "random driveby key-ings" are very rare.

Sorry though - It would piss me off!

Stu

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 26 2012, 02:50 PM) *

Sorry to be the "dick" but typically to get Keyed you have to really Piss someone off.
You must have either parked like a dickhead or done something in traffic and they followed you.

I bet that "random driveby key-ings" are very rare.

Sorry though - It would piss me off!

Stu

I disagree!! confused24.gif

I brought my new SL550 on a drive down Hwy1 spending the night in Morro Bay with two other friends in thier nice convertables, when we got up in the morning someone had keyed all three of our cars!

We think it was some of locals from the bar next door!!
stugray
We think it was some of locals from the bar next door!!

If you did nothing to piss anyone off, it was more likely the closest paint repair shop ;-)

Like remote tire shops distributing nails on the highways that enter their towns......

Stu
It's they sign of the times we live in. Some would rather be envious vs actually going out to make some thing of them selves - especially if you did nothing wrong.
SirAndy
I think you guys are putting too much thought into this ...

Kids tag stuff all the time, and yes, that includes cars. The nicer they are, the more alluring they look as a target.

No need to piss anyone off. No need for envy. All you need to do is to be in the right place at the wrong time.
rolleyes.gif
barndoor
Keying Porsche's is all about jealousy.

The idiots that key them see a "bitchin" car that they will never own because they are not smart enough,so they damage it.

You can't leave these cars out hardly anywhere without the fear of this.

Its part of ownership.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2012, 06:13 PM) *

I think you guys are putting too much thought into this ...

Kids tag stuff all the time, and yes, that includes cars. The nicer they are, the more alluring they look as a target.

No need to piss anyone off. No need for envy. All you need to do is to be in the right place at the wrong time.
rolleyes.gif

agree.gif now pull the engine for the 914. happy11.gif
r_towle
Sell me the car....take the money and buy a 3.6 for your 914

Rich
biosurfer1
Unless this is a concours car, can I throw out a suggestion? Don't fix it, just leave it. It's paint, it has nothing to with the mechanics so screw whoever did it. I say leave it and drive the hell out of the car. If you get it fixed, someone might just do it again, so this way, who cares??

My 911 had a crap paint job and I loved it. Rock flies up? who cares. A$$hole keys it? no problem. I think its freeing to not have to worry and later on down the line, you can always get it painted if you want.
euro911
With the growing 'Class War' mentality, I think we can expect more of this kind of s#it to happen in the future dry.gif
Mike Bellis
When we bought our new black Camry Hybrid, the first week it got keyed. They scraped the entire left side; every body panel. This was in a public parking lot in Oakland. We did not cause this. I had to get a 1 week old car repainted. sad.gif

I consider this random vandalism. Part of life's chaos factor. People are just fucked up sometimes...
zymurgist
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 26 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Unless this is a concours car, can I throw out a suggestion? Don't fix it, just leave it. It's paint, it has nothing to with the mechanics so screw whoever did it. I say leave it and drive the hell out of the car. If you get it fixed, someone might just do it again, so this way, who cares??

My 911 had a crap paint job and I loved it. Rock flies up? who cares. A$$hole keys it? no problem. I think its freeing to not have to worry and later on down the line, you can always get it painted if you want.

agree.gif My Corvette has has a really keyed-up driver's side T-top panel since before I bought it. I leave the roof panels off in the summer time anyway.
ThePaintedMan
That really sucks, I'll never understand what makes someone do that. Same thing with eggs, etc. Sorry to hear it.

That being said, its never happened to me. But then again, who would want to key a primer black 914? I doubt I would even be able to tell if it was keyed, lol.

Spoke
I did a bit of rubbing compound and polishing compound on it. It is much less noticeable now. I didn't want to get too aggressive and go through the clear coat.

I usually park the car in regular parking spaces, never using 2 spaces. The only places I go to are Pep Boys/Autozone/etc, Homie Depot, Target, Wegman's grocery. Never take it to the mall.
timothy_nd28
I was only joking about the buffing part. It has been keyed thru the base coat. You will need to wet sand and repaint that section.
scotty b
If you can come down this way for a day I MAY be able to get it even les noticable for ya without paint.
Maltese Falcon
Can't figure out peoples mentality for this dis-respect.
A sale went bad this week where a guy and his wife were stabbed for their '68 Camaro on Craigslist.
Now a couple of good people dead, and a stolen Camaro.
Marty

Spoke
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 27 2012, 04:22 PM) *

I was only joking about the buffing part.

I've done this before with scratches, rubs, keyed lines, and other abrasions. If it's deep, the best that I've done is soften up the scratch so it's not too noticeable.

This one looks a lot better already. I'll probably polish compound it again, glaze, then wax.

The paint on this car is original and the front looks like it's been sandblasted. The car came from Texas and it got its fair share of road debris kicked up on it. Both headlights had holes in them when I purchased the car.

Overall the paint is good and I have no plans to repaint at this time.
Spoke
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 27 2012, 04:27 PM) *

If you can come down this way for a day I MAY be able to get it even les noticable for ya without paint.

Thanks Scotty, I appreciate the offer. I think I'm good now.
Drums66
........ hanged.gif (needs home training)
bye1.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 26 2012, 02:19 PM) *

I just don't understand people. If you did that to their car they would be pissed, but it is ok for them to do it to yours. Reminds me of a girl at work back in the mid 90s. She just purchased a new corvette. Stopped at the mall on her way home from work. Came out a few hours later to find "NICE CAR" keyed in the hood. WTF chair.gif

No, if you did that to their car, they wouldn't care...because it's probably leased. Not their car, so who gives a shit. 54% of cars are leased now, so only a minority "give a shit" about what they've actually "bought". Sad.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 27 2012, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 26 2012, 02:19 PM) *

No, if you did that to their car, they wouldn't care...because it's probably leased. Not their car, so who gives a shit. 54% of cars are leased now, so only a minority "give a shit" about what they've actually "bought". Sad.

Wow, really, 54%? I did not know that statistic. Does underline the point that we have become a "disposable" society, even with our cars. Very sad. There will be nothing worth collecting from the cars of today.
r_towle
If you go to your local PCA site and ask the concours people...there is a local scratch and dent person that can work wonders for that scratch.

rich
gothspeed

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 26 2012, 11:47 PM) *

With the growing 'Class War' mentality, I think we can expect more of this kind of s#it to happen in the future dry.gif

+1 ........ those people are out there ......... and they usually despise nice things, when those things do not belong to them ...... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.