Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: edumacate me on the space saver spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Picked it up for $40 shades.gif

How do I check it or is it one use only?
Why two valves?

Should I protect it so it will stay in good shape?

Can I get a small el'cheapo 12v air compressor for it ? Only looked at evil-bay and it seems like the sellers think the Porsche compressor are made of gold.

It's like one of these (far left) except red. A few scratches but otherwise in good shape.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Steve

Get a cheap compressor from Walmart and keep it with you. There was scary threads about how the space save spares are too old to use and dangerous. I have one... If I ever get a flat I definetly won't be driving to fast with it.
914itis
I had one that was bad and I was about to give it to scrap, the I decided to take it to a for shop, they had hell of a hard time talking the rubber out and replaced it with a regular tire .
smj
I used the one that came with my 944S almost 20 years after if left the factory, and it worked for getting home and around town for a week or so.

Seems Vredestein still makes something like them (the Space Master?), but the brochure only mentions 17+" tires. Anybody know if the 15 and 16" are still available? I've got one in the 968 that would need to be replaced eventually, and I picked up a 17" (pretty sure - with tool tray insert, from a Carrera I think) from a dismantler for the 914-6 in order to clear the Brembos up front.
Griffinroydonald
We use the 944 space savers to roll cars around the shop and sell sets to the early 911 guys who run them with trim rings and baby moon hubcaps. The rims you have are high price items to the right people. I saw a set on the samba for $1000 and $1500. They look great on the early cars and have been polished, blasted or painted to match the car body color. I always pull the space saver spares and someone always buys them for $50 and shipping. I have several now but not sure what size. confused24.gif
BKLA
the space saver wheels have become the hot item for restomod's and outlaws.

Would love to see what a set of the aluminum ones (like images in post one) would look like on a narrow body six. I even have a set of the chrome 911 hubcaps that are supposed to fit the steel wheel savers.

I think THOMAS had put a set of the "red" style space savers (repainted of course) on his aubergine six. They look pretty cool!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(smj @ Oct 28 2012, 04:12 AM) *

I used the one that came with my 944S almost 20 years after if left the factory, and it worked for getting home and around town for a week or so.

Seems still makes something like them (the ?), but the brochure only mentions 17+" tires. Anybody know if the 15 and 16" are still available? I've got one in the 968 that would need to be replaced eventually, and I picked up a 17" (pretty sure - with tool tray insert, from a Carrera I think) from a dismantler for the 914-6 in order to clear the Brembos up front.

This is a Vredestein Space Master.

BKLA
the space saver wheels have become the hot item for restomod's and outlaws.

Would love to see what a set of the aluminum ones (like images in post one) would look like on a narrow body six. I even have a set of the one 911 hubcaps that are supposed to fit the steel wheel savers.

I think THOMAS had put a set of the "red" style space savers (repainted of course) on his aubergine six. They look pretty cool!

I know, Checkout how much they want for this rim on ebay, redonkuless coin.
I also think this is one of the only 15"rims that clears big brakes. If you do a search of pelican there's a guy trolling the forums to buy all he can to put sets together. The set in the pic sold for $1000, 3 years ago, they want more for sets now.

The seller knew this and knew I was getting a steal. He was doing me a favour wants to see the finished 914 so I can't sell it in good conscience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.