Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First real problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I've had a trouble free car thus far.

I smelled fuel this morning as I walked by. icon8.gif
Sure, enough, big puddle o' fuel eating a hole in the asphalt driveway. headbang.gif

I moved the car onto the gravel. I just got home a while ago and will go and take a peek.
It's dripping off the passenger side jack donut. Right below the pump and filter.

Be right back....

KT
Joe Bob
Here....hold my beer while I light a match..... blink.gif
Trekkor
Mike! No!
Go to your room! cool_shades.gif

Found zee problem.

The short braided fuel line off the plastic "y" from the fuel pump into the engine compartment is wet.

Too dark for a pic. I'm not willing to set up the lights for this.

It's not the one that goes to the filter so I guessing it's the return line?

Tight squeeze for hands and tools.
This week somtime... no hurry or worry. smile.gif

KT
scotty914
heres an idea if mikez wants to light a match go drive around his house a few times first slap.gif

scott t
BPGREER
Tight squeeze for hands and tools.

KT,

I recently replaced all of those lines on mine. If you take the heater tube piece off down there (don't know the actual term) it is much, much easier to work in there. The tube is held on by 2 bolts, and a barrel nut attatched to the cable under there. Sorry my descriptions of thing suck. Try to clamp off the main supply line before you do anything. Fuel will flow all over you real quick (ask me how I know). If you still have all original lines down there, you should really consider replacing it all. That stuff becomes really brittle. Of course a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt. Good luck.

Brian
Trekkor
I'm painting my house today, and trying to get the fuel line repaired,too. unsure.gif

Any ideas on hose clamps? Was planning on screw driven stainless. It has the crimping style now.

KT
Brad Roberts
You want the crimping style. They dont dig into the rubber lines like the screw type.

Check all of them for tighness. I'm betting the fuel pump is leaking and it is dribbling down those lines.

Brian,

was it me your quoting in your signature (unmoleted) ..LOL

B
Trekkor
I took a peek earlier today.
Didn't finish it.

It's definately the 6 inch line from the fuel pump into the engine compartment. The line is brittle and when I pressed on it air bubbles could be seen going up the clear pastlic fuel line.

KT
nebreitling
playing with fuel is always fun.

definitely get FI hose clamps like brad said. i noticed in the engine drop article you had some of the standard clamps on the fuel rails.

doood, sorry for not calling. my gf put the trip together (and didn't leave any time for getting off the wine 'tour') AND i forgot to bring your ph #. blink.gif next time i'm up i'll let you know -- i want to see your /6 progress.
aveale
hey,

just be careful of messing around under there.

all the lines are brittle, so don't be surprised if you create a leak somewhere else just when you think you are done.

T
boxstr
Sounds like a great time to relocate. You fuel pump and filter that is. I always like to be able to get to the filter without a lot of crap in the way. Guess that is why I like the 75-76 914s.
Good luck.
CCLINGASFORASS
Trekkor
Done!

I hated it. icon8.gif

I took a gas shower.

Replaced all the rubber lines coming off the fuel pump and filter.

One line was obvious, a couple others were ready to blow.

I recommend doing this as a matter of preventative fire maintenance.

Used the screw type clamp anyway. Never had a problem with them EVER leaking before. They dig in a bit, but NEVER leak.

Even secured the filter with a zip tie. wink.gif

No pics this time around. ( TTIWWP's, I know )

KT
Trekkor
Here's a shot of the area. I was in there today.
It's all gone now. IPB Image

KT
Aaron Cox
get that pump up front IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 03:38 PM)
get that pump up front IPB Image

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 28 2004, 05:27 PM)
get that pump up front  ;)

IPB Image

since that pump wont work with CARBS on his SIX, why not save yourself the trouble and move it to the front? hmmm...the factory did it IPB Image IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 28 2004, 05:27 PM)
get that pump up front  ;)

IPB Image

it doesn't matter now...he's going with the /6 (with carbs IPB Image ) IPB Image

if anything, the pump mounted in the rear is safer since the fuel pressure is much less going from the tank to the pump while it passes thru the drivers compartment.....
r_towle
Isnt it still at 28 psi on the return trip to the tank anyways???

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 28 2004, 04:48 PM)
Isnt it still at 28 psi on the return trip to the tank anyways???

3 words:

TRIPPLE WEBER CARBS
Joe Bob
By the time the factory decided to move the pump, the sixes were rusting away.....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 04:30 PM)
and move it to the front? hmmm...the factory did it IPB Image IPB Image

AFAIK *no* factory six had the pump in the front ...

IPB Image Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.