Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My vintage race project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
brant
Last of the pics from this work weekend. We installed the lexan rear windown. On the passenger side it has venting for interior air comfort, that we cut out. Here is the view from the inside.

The big white beast (through the window) is my new to me tow vehicle:
brant
The view from the rear:
Mueller
look'n good....I hope you have some ear plugs biggrin.gif
brant
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 16 2005, 11:52 AM)
look'n good....I hope you have some ear plugs biggrin.gif

I think your right... I still need to get some.
BMartin914
TOO COOL BRANT! I can't wait to see it! smilie_pokal.gif
brant
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 15 2005, 03:24 PM)
Simply awesome Brant. Please tell Bob I said so, and "Hi!" for me.

How about some pics of the new Focus?!?!

Ok, I'm pulling my own thread off topic now..
oh well, this has become somewhat of a picture book for me anyways...

Gint, here is the tomato:

(along with the bannana that I'll be doing my liscensing school in this weekend for the 2nd year in a row... but hey I took 2nd last year in the fun race to an M3)
brant
mmmm... oranges...mmmm..
brant
last one.. you may now resume your regularly scheduled programing:
Gint
I love it! But as you know, I'm partial to orange.
brant
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 18 2005, 04:35 PM)
I love it! But as you know, I'm partial to orange.

me too...

don't you think it will be a nice theme color to my race car?

"Pumpkin Racing Team"

Gint
laugh.gif
brant
Update time...
On 4/3/05 the project left its jackstands.
I know its not like its running or anything, but its still a big step. It was around October or November of 02 when I quit driving it... So Two and a half years basically.

Ride height is WAY off... but here is a pic of it on its own 4 feet:
brant
Its got nearly the correct front to rear rake right now, but even with the custom lenght shocks I don't have nearly enough travel.

Here is the rear donut ride height currently:
brant
Rear fender - tire clearance looks to be pretty good:
brant
For trial purposes, these are only 6inch wheels and I will be running 7's:
brant
Both seats are now in:
brant
The battery is in and actually tucks nicely under the passenger seat. Here is the view with seat removed:
brant
Here is the aluminum seat back brace which is bolted to the drivers seat:
brant
Dad got the stainless steel stone guards installed on the coolers:
Gint
Looks to me like you could use a nice little break...

Awesome - almost all expense paid - trip to Salt Lake City!
Jeroen
Man... I just love the details on your car!!!
The way you connected the earth-strap to the harness eyebolt aktion035.gif
And those oilcooler protectors are jsut amazing blink.gif
brant
Thanks Jereon, I always admire your work too and it means a lot.

Mike G, I would like to go but laura thinks I'm spending about 110% too much time on car related stuff already

brant
Thanks to Andy and the admins for their time and money to run this club!!!!

here are a few more photos from last weekend.

I had to have 2x puke bottles per regulation. One for the tranny and the other for the motor. We ended up using large bike bottles that were just enough ounces to meet the rule. We bought bike hangers that were made from aluminum and weigh basically nothing:
brant
Here is the picture with the bottles installed:
brant
Got the front lexan windshield installed:
Joe Bob
QUOTE (john rogers @ Mar 16 2005, 08:02 AM)
Nice looking job. If the wires are solid core you'll have to change to the spiral type because of the MSD box I think, unless they have changed their requirements? Might want to check before you fire it up the first time.

With the MSD box....make sure you have the suppression diode inline with the D+ circuit that goes the alt bulb in the dash...otherwise you will have engine run on when turning the ignition off...
brant
Spent a bunch of time last weekend finishing up the paint.
We did the front and rear bumpers and also the front valance. Luckily the weather was decent and helped out with the process. We aren't the best painters, but at least we got it done:
brant
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 6 2005, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (john rogers @ Mar 16 2005, 08:02 AM)
Nice looking job. If the wires are solid core you'll have to change to the spiral type because of the MSD box I think, unless they have changed their requirements? Might want to check before you fire it up the first time.

With the MSD box....make sure you have the suppression diode inline with the D+ circuit that goes the alt bulb in the dash...otherwise you will have engine run on when turning the ignition off...

Good point Mike.
We put one in-line right near the regulator, you can't see it in the pics because its taped up into the loom.
brant
Rear bumper done in black with a tiny bit of flattening agent. Here it is installed with our home-made tow hook:
brant
Better view of the tow hook. We bought a piece of rod and used the oxy torch to heat it and bend it around a piece of 2.5 inch pipe... Then cut it and made it round. Finally, welded it onto a bolt with the correct thread to use the factory rear tow hook location.

I have always heard the stock rear tow hooks broke, so this should be stronger than cast (plus lighter)

I'm also thinking that if the weld brakes in use then its fine with me, because I don't want them picking up the chassis from this point anyways:
Ferg
Looking Incredible!!! smilie_pokal.gif

We need to talk and formulate a engine break in plan... wink.gif

Ferg
john rogers
Nice looking job. You might want to test the tow hook before your first race. I saw a new 911 have theirs break off when the wrecker yanked that tow strap on the way back to the pits and it sure embarised the driver!
brant
QUOTE (john rogers @ Apr 6 2005, 11:52 AM)
Nice looking job. You might want to test the tow hook before your first race. I saw a new 911 have theirs break off when the wrecker yanked that tow strap on the way back to the pits and it sure embarised the driver!

good point John

I've been kinda worried about all of the horror stories I hear where cars are nearly lifted by their tow hooks and over zealous tow truck drivers...

So I kinda want the hook to break before the body gets bent out of shape back there.

brant
more painting.
So here is the color scheme for the front bumper:
brant
Thanks to the list and its wonderful members, I was able to come up with Horn grills for my set up:
Ferg
sweet, i can't remember if i've seen it but what exhaust you gonna use.
Ferg.
Aaron Cox
dude! those bumpers are hot! wub.gif
brant
last shot of the front bumpers.
I couldn't mount them yet, due to the paint not being fully cured:
brant
Thanks Aaron.

Ferg, I haven't gotten them welded yet.. but I have the mufflers. Twin Borla stainless steel.

one of the things still on my "to do list"

brant
last of my pictures for now.
One last thing we got done was to mount the rear trunk lid. I've alluded to this lid before, and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. Its a stock lid but with balsa wood reinforcement for a total loss of 11lbs. We bonded aluminum stops onto the lid and then cut balsa wood strips that are just long enough to have to bow (giving the lid the correct shape)

Here is what I mean:
brant
Close up of the same:
brant
Like I said, I'm pretty proud of it and it is still a metal hood as per the rules. Here it is mounted on the car:
brant
Another weekend passes, and a little bit more progress.
Here is the window net and hinged drivers side bar:
brant
Finally got the front valance mounted.
The extra slot is additional air intake for the coolers:
brant
Spent Saturday morning re-painting the black half of the front bumper. I was trying to buff out an flaw in the paint and buffed through... So out came the equiptment and masking tape for a re-shoot.

Twas worth it though, I'm pleased with the finished result.

Front hood, head light doors, and turn signal covers mounting is still not finalized, but I needed to submit log book photos so here they set:
brant
Engine lid now mounted:
brant
Worked on the doors. Still haven't finished the aluminum interior door panels yet. Here is a shot of the forward door hinges, with a few extra holes in them:
brant
Here is drivers side mounted.
17lbs and still metal:
brant
from the inside:
brant
our version of a door stop. Lighter than the stock metal one:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.