914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Jeroen
Smart thinking!
I was planning the same
After all, if it's good enuf for a 911 GT1, it's good for a 914 biggrin.gif
Jeroen
on a slightly related note...

I was thinking about grinding off the bottom part of both the door hinges (see arrow in pic)
That way, you could easily lift the door out (put them out of the way when working on the car)

Still... I can't even get the friggin' pin out of the hinge
Is there a secret to that?
brant
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 18 2005, 08:20 AM)
on a slightly related note...

I was thinking about grinding off the bottom part of both the door hinges (see arrow in pic)
That way, you could easily lift the door out (put them out of the way when working on the car)

Still... I can't even get the friggin' pin out of the hinge
Is there a secret to that?

I couldn't get those pins to budge.
part of the reason we took the door off by pulling the 3 bolts and leaving the hinge on the door.

hanging the doors and getting the gaps is so tough. Speaking only for myself, if I was removing the doors frequently I know I scratch the heck out of the paint!

but thats a good/creative idea!

brant
Door gaps are not perfect... but sure looks better mounted than it did in the closet for 6 months.

Lots of rear fender clearance:
brant
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm real happy with the way the fenders came out and I love this view:
brant
Still needing to do an exhaust:
brant
Passenger side door is on.

I have a neat little aluminum fuel door that isn't on yet, but I'm waiting on clear bra in order to finish the front end up:

Root_Werks
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 18 2005, 07:09 AM)
our version of a door stop. Lighter than the stock metal one:

I always wondered if you could just use the little cable ones for Type 1's when they put the 1 piece windows in? idea.gif Lighter, simpler, cheap. idea.gif

As always Brant, your work amazes me, looks great! smilie_pokal.gif
brant
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 18 2005, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 18 2005, 07:09 AM)
our version of a door stop.  Lighter than the stock metal one:

I always wondered if you could just use the little cable ones for Type 1's when they put the 1 piece windows in? idea.gif Lighter, simpler, cheap. idea.gif

As always Brant, your work amazes me, looks great! smilie_pokal.gif

I'm not familiar with the type 1 version....
but I was thinking about cable also.

In fact I may still change out to that.
These stretch some, and I set them so that I would have 5 inches of safety margin from where the door starts to hit the strap and to where it would create damage.

Still 5inches wouldn't be a lot if the door got whipped by the wind.... So I was thinking about changing over to a more rigid cable.

jgiroux67
AMAZING WORK!!!
So how much does it way?
sixnotfour
Nice !! They look so much better on the ground smilie_pokal.gif
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm real happy with the way the fenders came out and I love this view:

You're rear fenders , Did you add metal ? or just beat em.
brant
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Apr 23 2005, 09:00 PM)
AMAZING WORK!!!
So how much does it way?

thanks...
don't know yet.
hope to (possibly) start the motor tomorrow, and corner ballance/weigh in by 5/7/05
I'll let you know as soon as I find out....
(I have to admit, I'm very anxious to see)
brant
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Apr 23 2005, 09:13 PM)
Nice !! They look so much better on the ground smilie_pokal.gif

You're rear fenders , Did you add metal ? or just beat em.

Its sad...
but they look short to me when on the ground, because I'm so used to always seeing mine on jackstands.

regarding the fenders...
a little bit of everything including the kitchen sink.
We even had a scissor jack in to stretch things for a while.
Dead Air
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 1 2004, 07:42 PM)

anyways when we went looking for ends to thread into it, we had to go to a specialized bolt place...
the old guy behind the counter had to make some calls because he couldn't determine the thread either...

turns out its RAF (british-aircraft) thread.

[QUOTE] wacko.gif
It is "british Aircraft" that's based on 5ths of an inch? Confirm?? A friend of mine restores old bicycles and he's found alot of it. PITA!!
Dead Air
http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.htm

There's a link to your fastener problem
Dead Air
Exceptional smilie_pokal.gif The metal work is blowing my mind!!
brant
Dave,

I'll ask my dad if he remembers the specifics on the thread pitch... Thanks for the link and thanks for the support!!!

BMartin914
Looks awesome Brant! Can't wait to see it!

When do you think you will be able to get it out for it's first track day? driving.gif
Gint
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Apr 25 2005, 10:36 AM)

When do you think you will be able to get it out for it's first track day? driving.gif

Good question. When does this thing hit the pavement?
brant
QUOTE (Gint @ Apr 25 2005, 10:25 AM)

Ok Ben.. Ok Mike,

I'm hoping to rent a track and spend a couple of hours doing slow laps to get some break in miles on the motor....

IF that goes well

then I hope to next go to a drivers education event on My 21st in LaJunta so that I will have the chance to not be wheel to wheel until I've gotten more mileage accumulated.

As far as a local (Denver) event.
I'm not looking that far ahead.
maybe may or june.

I thought I would get the motor started this last weekend, and did get gas and oil into it... but a fuel leak slowed me down and I haven't heard it run yet.
brant
couple of more pics from the weekend.

Went to work on the door panels.
Dad cut these from aluminum sheet and had the edge done with a brake:
brant
Next we riveted them on (aluminum rivets of course)
Here is the front edge:
brant
Back edge.

The top actually has two brake lines in it to get the best shape:
brant
The inside strap is actually functional.
It's attatched to the release handle/lever... and can be pulled from inside the car to release the door.

Here is the drivers side:
brant
Passenger's side:
BMartin914
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 25 2005, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Apr 25 2005, 10:25 AM)

Ok Ben.. Ok Mike,

I'm hoping to rent a track and spend a couple of hours doing slow laps to get some break in miles on the motor....

IF that goes well

then I hope to next go to a drivers education event on My 21st in LaJunta so that I will have the chance to not be wheel to wheel until I've gotten more mileage accumulated.

As far as a local (Denver) event.
I'm not looking that far ahead.
maybe may or june.

I thought I would get the motor started this last weekend, and did get gas and oil into it... but a fuel leak slowed me down and I haven't heard it run yet.

At least you're thinking about us Brant. wink.gif
TGM
I am inspired!!!! Started clearing out the junk so I can get to mine again. Great engineering and fabrication work.

Two bits of safety advice:

If that's a portable fire extinguisher, it should be within reach of belted driver

I think the washers for passenger should harnesses are too small. I used 4" X 4" welded doubler plate and then large washers shown. I think some race/club rules require this.

Keep the photos coming.
brant
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Apr 24 2005, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 1 2004, 07:42 PM)

anyways when we went looking for ends to thread into it, we had to go to a specialized bolt place...  
the old guy behind the counter had to make some calls because he couldn't determine the thread either...

[QUOTE] wacko.gif
It is "british Aircraft" that's based on 5ths of an inch? Confirm?? A friend of mine restores old bicycles and he's found alot of it. PITA!!

I asked dad if he remembered the thread info on that RAF bar. He thinks it is:

"It probably was the British Whitworth thread. The Metric guy mentioned that it was used extensively by their Air Force during WWII. Bob"

either way were done with it now and hopefully won't need to find more fittings in the future.

brant
QUOTE (TGM @ Apr 25 2005, 09:27 PM)
I am inspired!!!!  Started clearing out the junk so I can get to mine again.  Great engineering and fabrication work.  

Two bits of safety advice:

If that's a portable fire extinguisher, it should be within reach of belted driver

I think the washers for passenger should harnesses are too small.  I used 4" X 4" welded doubler plate and then large washers shown.  I think some race/club rules require this.  

Keep the photos coming.

cool...
thanks for the kind words TGM

regarding the safety harness. I'll double check. I think we were within spec, but its worth double checking.

thanks
brant.
Scott S
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 26 2005, 08:18 AM)
[QUOTE=Dave Eddy,Apr 24 2005, 12:30 AM] [QUOTE=brant,Nov 1 2004, 07:42 PM]

[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE] wacko.gif
It is "british Aircraft" that's based on 5ths of an inch? Confirm?? A friend of mine restores old bicycles and he's found alot of it. PITA!! [/QUOTE]
I asked dad if he remembered the thread info on that RAF bar. He thinks it is:

"It probably was the British Whitworth thread. The Metric guy mentioned that it was used extensively by their Air Force during WWII. Bob"

either way were done with it now and hopefully won't need to find more fittings in the future.

Brant -
If you should stumble across that stuff again, let me know. We have a pretty good pile of nuts and bolts, as well as many whitworth tools from building all of the old british junk.

Again - looks awesome!
-S
brant
Scott,
thanks for the offer!

Here is the last picture from the weekend.
We got the mufflers fabricated, but not mounted as the paint was still drying.

I'll get mounted pictures next time in a couple of weeks when I get back to the car.

here is a before shot of one side.
Borla Stainless:
d914
looking at some of your older pictures, just a thought, what about a center inside brace for the windshield. I know its riveted in but a speed that center might come in ????

everybody needs to add they're two cents!! beautiful car!!!!!
brant
QUOTE (d914 @ Apr 26 2005, 09:43 AM)
looking at some of your older pictures, just a thought, what about a center inside brace for the windshield. I know its riveted in but a speed that center might come in ????

everybody needs to add they're two cents!! beautiful car!!!!!

I welcome the input.
I contemplated some extra bracing on the front and rear.

but ultimately went with the advice of my race shop.
He runs around 10 914's with the same lexan windshields. He doesn't do it, and claims to have never had a problem.

Since the whole car was built to the philosophy of leaving out anything that weighed anything, I left the bracing out.

I know about 12 years ago he had one 914 that would flex the plexiglass inward at 150mph, but still stayed put and would "pop" back out into shape when he hit the brakes at the end of the straight away.

They are actually not rivets by the way.
they are screws with special (sp?) excusion's

So the bracing seems like a good idea, but I went with the advice of experience, and I guess I'll see.
Qarl
Enough with your disgusting pictures already!!!

flipa.gif

just kidding.
brant
Exciting news.
Got a call from our vintage clubs eligibility head honcho.
Tenatively they have approved my car and will be sending me a log book. The car still has to pass the physical and safety inspection, but the wheels are rolling.

Here is the kicker.
When you submit your application, you also list 1st/2nd/3rd number choices.

(They will not assign you a number ahead of time, only when they receive the application)....

so... (drum roll please)
I was assigned # 914

cool........
Ferg
great news brant, one less hurdle smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
everything looks awesome man!! don't listen to Qarl! more pics!! smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 26 2005, 09:39 PM)
so... (drum roll please)
I was assigned # <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'> 914</span>

some guys have it all...
ya lucky bastard laugh.gif
brant
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 26 2005, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 26 2005, 09:39 PM)
so...  (drum roll please)
I was assigned #     914

some guys have it all...
ya lucky bastard laugh.gif

thanks Mike
thanks Wayne
thanks Jeroen

I know in PCA that number is already taken...
so I hope that PCA lets me do 4 digits instead of 3

(I'd love to add a 6 to the end of it..)
brant
Not too many pictures this go around.
we did get some things accomplished though.

The exciting accomplishment can not be captured on film...
In that on saturday, we started the motor for the first time.

It needs lots of re-jetting and tuning still.
but I put 2 heat cycles on it and have changed the oil twice now.

Speaking of oil I was very curious to see what the capacity was. Found out that it holds 18 quarts.

Hopefully this week the valves will get adjusted for the first time.

I've got a few shots of items that dad finished up.
Here is a shot of those stainless mufflers hung:
brant
2nd view of the same. You can see dad's fancy aluminum muffler hanger bracket.

They sound pretty great really...
not quiet by any means but has a nice throaty tone:
brant
Little closer view of the same bracket:
Eric_Shea
Excellent job. I'm sure you're proud.

How about some shots of Dad?

(Can I borrow him when you're done? Room/Board/Food)
majkos
smilie_pokal.gif Looking good!

But,have one question.
Shouldn't you thiking of something between Aluminmum and StainlessSteel?

A lttle too much room for vibration.
brant
Eric,

I can get a couple of shots of dad.
I'd be willing to rent him out, but I might need a cut!

Kevin,
I expect the aluminum to scuff the mufflers up pretty good, but you can NOT hear any vibration when the motor is running... Something to do with the high volume (not because the hanger is quiet I'm sure)

brant
brant
This one partly for John Kelley.
Its a shot of the attatchment method we came up with for his covers. an aluminum bolt is glued in with a retaining tab. The glue is Fusor brand body panel adhesive. One shows the bare attatchment, and the other shows the washers that will hold it to the body:
Verruckt
No doubt your dad is truly an artisan. So how much to rent the guy out? lol2.gif
Jeroen
sorry dude, I've run out of superlatives to use in this thread...
smilie_pokal.gif
brant
QUOTE (Verruckt @ May 9 2005, 02:00 PM)
No doubt your dad is truly an artisan. So how much to rent the guy out? lol2.gif

Thanks for the kind words sir...
I'll pass them on to dad..

thanks Jeroen!

brant
robicurp
Hi Brant,
I have been following your car build for a while now. You and your Dad have done a beautiful job.
You have got to be itching to drive it hard.
I am building my own 914-6 conversion and finally fired it up for the first time in 7 months last week end. Mine is a 2.2 liter street/autocross car.
I hope you don't mind, I have shamelessly copied some of your inovations. (The hole in the firewall sure makes timing it easy.)

If you don't mind sharing a little info, ( and I'll understand if you do), would you tell me what length of shocks you are running on back?

Also, What kind of rev limit do you plan to ultimately run on your engine?
I'm sure all of us want to see shots of your car on the move. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks,
Curtis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.