Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My vintage race project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
brant
Hi Curtis,

nice to meet you.
heck you are practically local to my dad's house. I will be at hallet before this season is over.. so maybe we can meet up or something.

Thats really great about your -6. sounds like yours went to gether quick. Good deal. Boy it was neat to fire it up for the first time, must have been for you too.

I'll try to get a rear shock measurement for you next time I'm in lamar. (2 weeks)

Regarding Redline rpm, we were debating that. At one point I called the builder to do more research on which springs and how the top end was done. We decided to go with stock-ish redline for our engine. This is a 67S motor so after its broke in we are going to run up to 7K or 7200-ish.

We hope to do cams/heads/valves/springs/and the full top end in a year or two, at which point we will raise the redline.

robicurp
I'm glad to hear you'll be visiting Hallet. Our PCA chapter always sponsors the PCA club race there in October. I hope to have my car broken in and dialed in by then.
I'll be working the at the race, So I'll be watching for your car , (assuming you're going to do PCA races). I'd love to look it over in the flesh.
I need to check the Vintage racing schedule there as well.
Thanks for the redline info. I'm a converted watercooled guy so these aircooled engines are still new to me.

Curtis
brant
Curtis,
I'll let you know as the dates near...

Our local vintage club is having an Enduro 10/1-2 at my favorite track in state... The same weekend as PCA is in Hallet this year...

Tough call...

but CVAR looks to be having a Hallet event on October 7th/8th/9th (the very next weekend)

Will have to see as the summer unfolds.
and if the car is still in one piece by that point.
hope to go though

brant
Update:

big productive weekend.
finishing up a bunch of details, and fixing things that didn't work the first time around.

Dad took some more weight out of our seat-back brace and her is what it looks like now:
brant
Wink mirror is installed:
brant
7 inch wheels were put on. For now I'm running my old cookies with VERY old tires. But I figure I'm only trying to break in the motor, so it won't matter.

Here is the rear fender clearance with 7inch wheels and 225/50/15 's:
brant
This one is for you JP....
my dad thought the horns looked too dirty, so surprised me by polishing them:
brant
Here is the not so close version of that.
air cleaners are now on:
J P Stein
Sanitary!.....a 60's term biggrin.gif

Did you decide if that car weight was right?
TravisNeff
Your attention to detail has paid off big time here. I hope you don't sit around with nothing to do now - so you don't become the extra ballast you might need!
majkos
I'm sorry.Sir,
but i'm about to use a old clique',
But look up in the dictionary,"Clean" and it'll show you a picture of this......
work of art,Motor! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
redshift
Superb!

smile.gif

If Karl was going to do a car right, that's how he'd do it!

rolleyes.gif

M
brant
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 24 2005, 04:28 PM)
Sanitary!.....a 60's term biggrin.gif
Did you decide if that car weight was right?

JP,

I can't fully verify that the scales are 100% correct.
I will be on another set of scales later this summer and hope to compare... I do know that the owner of the scales used them the day before I did, and that he Absolutely knows what his car weighs and would have noticed any discrepancys... They are semi-pro and actually make money racing. Its a whole-nother league with those guys...

But.. what I can say is that I weighed the car 12-15 separate times and found a ton of consistency each time.

We did a 1st round of corner balancing, and then took it off the scales. We strung it for toe and did a rough alignment. We then corner balanced it a 2nd time the following day.

In the other thread I mentioned this, but I'm going to say it again... I am SOOOO pleased with the weight of the car.

We corner balanced the car with the cookies on instead of the fuchs, and with 4 gallons of fuel.

The bumpers are the only fiberglass items (well, the stock top I guess too)... but the rest of the car, hoods, doors, everything is all metal.

I have a couple of ideas left to implement that will save a couple of more pounds later this summer.

Did I mention how happy I am with the results?:
brant
Travis,

your right...
the next weight Item I have to start working on is me!

but I doubt I'll be real lazy this summer.
I hope to be busy driving, and I have my street car with a blown motor/tranny to rebuild still before the fall RRC event.

Thanks Kevin, thanks Redshift!
brant
Front oil line is in, and headlight "doors" are mounted:
neo914-6
QUOTE (brant @ May 10 2005, 07:09 AM)
next time I'm in lamar. (2 weeks)

That place brings some memories, went to a fiberglass vendor there years ago. "Fun" flight over the Rockies in a small plane ride there.

Hope the museum quality of your car doesn't prevent you from taking it to it's limits on the track! You might as well look good when you win. clap.gif
brant
Headlight "doors" from the other side. Aluminum mounts with aluminum rivets, aluminum bolts, and nylon bolts holding the corners:
brant
Finished up the hood mounts.
The back of the hood uses these aluminum prongs to slip into aluminum chanels that are bonded to the bottom of the cowl.

There are also nylon rub blocks riveted in the rear part of the hood rubber channel to help guide the hood into place without scratching the paint as much:
brant
Due to the front hood having no hinges now (weight savings)... Its kinda a pain to remove. And since we needed to check the fuel levels frequently, we decided to cut a fuel access door into the hood. Dad made the hinged door out of aluminum and it pivots on an aluminum bolt. Here it is from the bottom:
brant
Here is the fuel door as viewed from the top.
We also got the front vinyl applied and then covered the entire front hood with clear bra:
majkos
Brant,you are building a classic one of a kind,
And am sooo glad you're not hesitate to drive her burnout.gif

Is there any ideas you have NOT thought of as weight saving??

Keep up with theses awsome photo shoots aktion035.gif
The pictures and all the possiblities you CAN do,
gives me more confidence of someday building a better track car driving.gif

Thanks for showing,it can come true!

When we get to see it?? (Track dates? Tour?)
brant
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 25 2005, 08:15 AM)

That place brings some memories, went to a fiberglass vendor there years ago. "Fun" flight over the Rockies in a small plane ride there.

Hope the museum quality of your car doesn't prevent you from taking it to it's limits on the track! You might as well look good when you win. clap.gif

Felix,

you must of went to meet with Su-trak!
They were a pretty big fiberglass place for a while.
I once had them re- gelcoat a 914 roof for me that was painted and frequently spider cracked.

thanks for the kind words...
definitely car will be driven!

brant
Speaking of driving... got to do that too.

On monday 5/23/05 we got to drive it for the first time.
We caught some minor items and problems, but fixed most of them at the track.

We rented the LaJunta Raceway, down near dad's house.
We were the only people there.

started out with slow laps and trying to accumulate motor miles. Still fun though and we pushed it a bit.
ran a 6K chip and generally shifted around 5K. The sound is great and the suspension is smoother than the old car.

Hoping to get another session in before the first race.
Still have a list of items to finish.

Here is the pic:
neo914-6
QUOTE (brant @ May 25 2005, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 25 2005, 08:15 AM)

Felix,

you must of went to meet with Su-trak!
They were a pretty big fiberglass place for a while.
I once had them re- gelcoat a 914 roof for me that was painted and frequently spider cracked.

thanks for the kind words...
definitely car will be driven!

Sound familar but they have grown and are now called c.f.maier composites Appears they do race car bodies but I had them build bus parts when I worked with them. I believe the owners are German and they loved country music so much they bought a radio station. Nice folks.
brant
Felix,

your right they did change the name.
and I remember being over there once when they were building the spec race bodies... Don't know if they still do that or not.

They came into town the same time as the german Neoplan bus plant came. They started out doing fiberglass for A/C bus systems and then expanded from there.
Gint
You and Bob have done an awesome job with the car.

Thanks for the ride today Brant! I really enjoyed that.
brant
Your very welcome Mike!

so the car update is that this friday 5/27/05 the car made it up to get a real alignment.

The alignment by the way, came out absolutely amazing.
I trust the shop and they even used to set up Dave Fergusons car when he and ellen went to Solo nationals.

Still the numbers came out very.. very.. good.

We got: -2.8 degrees of camber at ALL 4 CORNERS

So Friday was going really well until that night when we found a fried Trailer bearing. Saturday (5/28) my dad and I split up and I went out to the Second Creek Raceway for the drivers meeting while he tried to find a replacement bearing for the trailer. I was able to do a couple of sessions in the focus, and then dad suceeded and made it out around 11am. We ended up getting a few things dialed in (brake bias), and driving until we were tired. After about 2-3 hours of on track time we called it a day and decided to quite while we were ahead (and before we ran out of fuel)

We headed back to my house and then had the chief of eligibility come over (he lives local to me) and to our car's annual tech inspection. We passed with flying colors. So unless something goes terribly wrong I should be driving my first vintage wheel to wheel race next weekend (6/4) at the Pueblo Motorsports track!
Eric_Shea
Stop the press!

Is that a "real" hood emblem vs. a decal? What the ^%#$ are you thinking? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

Thing-o-beauty Brant smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
'Tis beautiful!

smilie_pokal.gif

M
SGB
Thanks for the ride

the whole 20 page ride.
brant
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 29 2005, 06:22 PM)
Stop the press!

Is that a "real" hood emblem vs. a decal? What the ^%#$ are you thinking? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

Thing-o-beauty Brant smilie_pokal.gif

Dad wants me to tell you that we used metal to "make weight"

biggrin.gif
brant
I have a few pics of additional build items. Here are the fasteners for the roof:
brant
and a more close up shot:
brant
Here is the rear drop links that dad "shortened"
you can also see that the car is strapped down in this picture and we are using those rear shock spacers/bolts as a tie down point:
brant
There was a photographer at the test -n- tune day this weekend. He took shots of both my orange teener and my orange focus:
orange cars!
J P Stein
Damn....ya mean it actually runs? laugh.gif
Ain't it great? rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif
brant
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 30 2005, 10:28 AM)
Damn....ya mean it actually runs? laugh.gif
Ain't it great? rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif

Yeah. it feels pretty great.
I don't really have a sense that its faster than my old car yet.... but I'm rusty and have been running on 5 year old yoko's

so hopefully with some more seat time and fresher tires I'll start to pick up the pace. Plus we hope to pull the MSD 6K pill by sunday, so that we can stop short shifting!

sound really nice though
everything I thought it would be

brant
Update...
just got back today from a wheel to wheel event at my favorite colorado track. Good weekend overall. Not as fast as I would have liked but still fun. t'was the 3rd track I've been on in 13 days. Think the motor is now fairly close to being broke in. The -4 cylinder gearing is definitely hurting me, however the driver is probably hurting the lap times too.

I ran .7seconds slower than my Personal Record at pueblo. The only saving grace is that these are the same exact pair of kumhos that I set my PR with in 2002 (and they also ran the track in 2001) So they are 4 year old tires... Still I'm running more hp and 300lbs lighter and I'm slower, so I know the driver is not up to speed yet!

The car also had its first scratch. I'll post pics, but its very repairable. We had a trailer incident, where the car rolled over the stops on the trailer and came to rest on the tire rack. A little fiberglass repair and another (3rd one) paint job on the bumper and it will be fine. Could have been much worse, so really we were pretty lucky.

pics will follow tomorrow. I'm sunburned and need to go rest right now.
brant
got all the decals on.
they came out nice.
I would of rather had one of our club members do it, but just couldn't get the timing to work out:
brant
repeat front view of the windshield banner:
brant
Other side:
brant
close up of my mascot decal:
brant
As mentioned above... car got its first scratch.
very repairable.
the bumper got cracked and is pushed back a little bit (under the hood)

I think a little glass work and a reshoot of the bumper and it will be fine.

you can see the damage on the yellow side more than on the black side:
john rogers
Hummm, I stopped using metal to metal at the car for the tie down points as there was a lot of rubbing going on which can easily create stress raisers. I use some loop type straps instead now at the same place you do. I still use the metal hook at the trailer though.
brant
Here are 3 tired and dirty fellas...

My dad is on the left, and Allen Johnson is on the right.
These 2 deserve all the credit for the car finally coming together:
J P Stein
QUOTE (brant @ Jun 6 2005, 02:34 PM)

These 2 deserve all the credit for the car finally coming together:

Yeah, but you're taller laugh.gif
The old "bondo on the bumper" trick will take care of that
battle scar. biggrin.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (brant @ Jun 6 2005, 11:32 PM)
As mentioned above... car got its first scratch.

they're only pretty once... right before you drive 'em
and heck, that's what they're for!
brant
John, good point... and you have given me a ton of good advice. The aluminum is just a spacer and doesn't carry the strength of the mount, but still worth keeping an eye on it.

JP, my plan too... a little bondo and anothr re-shoot.

Jeroen, I agree... it will get more nicks and scratches before long. I intend to drive it as hard as I can!

Eric_Shea
Great journey Brant. Thanks for taking us with you. smilie_pokal.gif

Now... about your Dad. What's his favorite food? The guest bedroom is ready biggrin.gif
BMartin914
Lookin' real good Brant! The black cookie cutters look real good! Damage isn't too bad either - adds character right? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.