Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My vintage race project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Scott S
BRANT!
I am sorry - I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I had no idea you were building a car woth that level of detail - it is simply spectacular!!!! BIG kudos to you and your Pop. I cant wait to hear the groans from the MG owners who over run that club!

Really REALLY great!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Hope to see you soon -
brant
Thanks Scott,

I'll get a picture of the engine grill next go around...
(IT'S your grill!)

The club won't let me run with the MG's so It will be in the big bore group with the Vette's/camaro's and mustangs... Plus those 72 911's.

brant
Gint
Lookit Brant posting pictures!

I didn't get to read this whole thread, just look at the pictures. I'll read it all later because I laready have some questions. The paint looks great! The whole thing looks great. Bob has been busy.

Can't wait to see it hit the road (track).
joea9146
Very Nice .... Great job driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Gint... how about that shock tower weld thingy for you?

Brant... awesome smilie_pokal.gif
brant
thanks Eric
Ginter.. I owe you a big thanks too....

Hey everyone; I think ginters car and mine are maybe the same color. They were also purchased and imported to Colorado on the same weekend, if not same day.

Hey I found a couple more of the previous owner pictures that I want to document.. (the before pictures)

Left long:
brant
Right Long:
brant
Engine bay (DIRTY!) or battery tray:
brant
More pictures, but give me a day or two to get them in here.

Here is my new Avatar, hopefully this doesn't upset the captain:
slivel
Brant,

Beautiful car and superb attention to detail. What club(s) and what tracks will you be running?

Steve
seanery
Hey Steve,
would I have seen your car a couple years ago at Fontana running with Touring Car Club? 2001 or 2002 maybe? confused24.gif
brant
QUOTE(slivel @ Nov 15 2004, 09:48 AM)
Brant,

Beautiful car and superb attention to detail. What club(s) and what tracks will you be running?

Steve

Steve,

thank you sir...
Plan on mostly doing RMVR and PCA club racing...
but the car was built for RMVR rules...
mostly colorado tracks.. we have 5 decent ones.

Possibly will travel to affiliates for some VARA stuff, although the car won't be competetive out in your neck of the woods...

also hope to get to Laguna and Road Atlanta in the next couple of years at least once...

brant
brant
Here are a few detail photo's that show where I deviated from the "Weight is everything" approach, and added some weight back into the chassis in the interest of aesthetics.

Here is a shot of the front park lamp signals I filled in:
brant
still playing with size... let me try this a tad smaller.
Here is the antanna hole that I filled (more extra weight):
brant
One more "dead" weight picture...
I filled the trunk button hole on the rear panel:
brant
Here are a couple of pics on weight savings items.
holes in the long supports:
brant
Brake reservoir attatchment:
brant
Here is the plug that dad made to replace the back-up switch:
brant
Oil filler neck, and weight saving upright:
brant
I mentioned my fender linings before.
I used contact cement to glue in a piece of neopreme on the inside of each fender. I've done this before on my old race car and it preserved my paint for 3-4 years from the rock stars that you get from track tires...

The neopreme seems to offer good compression, and more density as it compresses.... what ever.. but seems to work very well.

This picture is confusing, but I took it lying on the ground and pointing up at the ceiling. (left rear fender):
brant
I also previously mentioned that my dad had built an engine dolly. Well I took a photo this weekend. Dolly was built to be as low as possible but still allow our jack to slide underneath.

Its got 6 wheels and the forward 4 are rigid, but the back 2 are on casters so they can spin in any direction. There is also enough of a bend in frame to keep the 2 rear wheels off the ground.

The point to all of this; it doesn't swing right and left when sliding it in from the rear... then after jacking up the forward part and attatching the forward engine mount there is a weight transfer (duh) onto the rear casters and the rear can swing right/left in order to facilitate final alignment...

don't know if that makes any sense.. Either way the dolly works great. It will suppor the engine/tranny combo, or just the engine alone. I've had the engine in a few times now during the dry fitting process and it works great:
brant
I reassembled the carbs onto the motor this weekend.
Carbs are IDS carbs, with the head blocks, perc mod, and baffles. The manifolds look to be powder coated and the carbs rebuilt

here is a shot:
brant
One more that shows the fuel blocks:
brant
close up of other side:
brant
I had to take this one...
I'd like to call it "nap time"

but in reality its my dad fighting with the steering column:
brant
underside pic...
Here is the oil cooler that AJ modified for me (dash 16):
brant
Starter off of my -4 retired racer:
brant
Trial fit on the header.
They are Jet hotted.
oil line will have a heat sleeve when we get done:
brant
Rear tranny mounts are delrin:
brant
This isn't finished yet.
but here is the front tow hook (alluminum) that dad has been making:
brant
And this one is a shot of it from underneath...
Its only a test fit, and not tightened down in this photo.

This photo also shows my front bolt in brace from earlier in the thread.

You can also see the mueller bearings..
hey Mike, when you gonna come up with a cover? Just kidding...
brant
This is just a front trunk view from the second side:
Stutgart46
Brant,
If you ever need someone to drive that thing let me know. I would be happy to shake it down for you. biggrin.gif
It looks great, please keep the pics coming.
brant
Back in the begining of this thread, I mentioned that my roll cage had extra large foot pads. Its not an Engeman kit by any means, but the foot pad is unique.

Its one piece that does a bit of reinforcing in the lower corner on the long, and also comes up and ties into the firewall.. (on the hell hole side there is a similiar bracket that ties into the back of the firewall)...

Remember, I'm not allowed to weld in bracing really... So this is technically a foot pad for my roll cage:
brant
QUOTE(Stutgart46 @ Nov 15 2004, 06:28 PM)
Brant,
If you ever need someone to drive that thing let me know. I would be happy to shake it down for you. biggrin.gif
It looks great, please keep the pics coming.

I thought that I might be going over the top with the pics... (If it gets annoying you can always tell me to shut up!)

brant
brant
Another cage shot...

This rear lower cross bar was added... and has a tiny bead onto the rear firewall.

This is also where we put the bias valve:
brant
As previously mentioned... Here is the shifter we ended up using:
brant
innerds:
xsboost90
how does that hole in the firewall work, i understand fresh air, but is that safe or is it just cuz itsa racecar.
McMark
I believe it's for accessing the front of the engine for service work.
Gint
I finally got a chance to go all the way through your thread Brant. The car is looking great. That paint job turned out awesome.

Tell Bob he's doing a great job!
Jeroen
Brant... please stop posting pics
I can't take any more drooley.gif
nein14-6

That looks like a Mustang shifter. Do you have more pictures of that?
914MF
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
brant
QUOTE(nein14-6 @ Nov 16 2004, 05:24 AM)

That looks like a Mustang shifter. Do you have more pictures of that?

I think its based off of a heavily modified mustang shifter.
I don't have any more pics right now... won't be back in lamar until christmas unfortunately.

brant
brant
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 15 2004, 08:23 PM)
Brant... please stop posting pics
I can't take any more drooley.gif

Jeroen,

this one is for you.
I mentioned this previously, but I used a plasma cutter to open the frame cavity and do some welding inside to brace the rear towers..... Then closed it back up.

You can see my welding seam.. Its kinda a big triangle (about 6inches long):
majkos
ohmy.gif Unbelievable! ohmy.gif
Keep up the awsome work!

Just amazing!
In case you haven't notice, I've been paying attention to everything you say or done,theses pictures are priceless!
I'm soooooooo glad you gotten a camera!
Now if I can just figure out mine. unsure.gif

Brant,you ROCK! aktion035.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 16 2004, 05:22 PM)
I used a plasma cutter to open the frame cavity and do some welding inside to brace the rear towers..... Then closed it back up.

Nice.... Verrrrrrrry nice!
Gint
I hate to horn in here, and I'll delete this post later if necessary.

Brant, Jeroen, Brad or anyone else that has BTDT...

Can you guys all go look at this thread? We are doing the last bit of metal work on my tub and considering doing something where the long meets the shock tower.

Thanks!
brant
Kevin,

you underestimate your self...

people don't know this, but Kevin along with Ginter and a bunch of other people have been SOOOO helpful to me.
Kevin and others have done favors, wrenched, and been an enormous support to both me and my father...

thanks again to this club, the admins, brad, and the local guys.

brant pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.