Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Turns Which Way?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickso71
I'm brand new to the forum and have an enging question for "starters". Just bought a "kit" 914, meaning a rolling chassis, engine, transmission, and a bunch of parts... all separate. The motor's an original 1.7L (not from that car though) that was rebuilt about 15 yrs. ago. filled with oil, and has never been run. The flywheel turns but not sure which way it's supposed to rotate. Looking for some suggestions here... hoping to loosen it up, check that all the valves are operating, set the clearances, and hopefully try starting it soon. Planning on putting it in the car first which raises a heap more questions like what should I change in the clutch area, how do I drain and re-fill the tranny, why does the tranny leak fluid from a little hole in this big nut that I can't loosen... and on and on.
Brett W
Engine turns clockwise.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 1 2004, 09:15 PM)
Engine turns clockwise.

Better expalin which direction your lookin at the motor from. wink.gif
Brett W
Just guess. If that way doesn't work try the other way. <_<
Dave_Darling
Look at the fan blades. The engine turns so that the concave sides of the blades scoop at the air. (English translation from science-geek speak: Cup your hand--the palm side is the concave side. The knuckle side is the convex side.)

--DD
rickso71
I didn't think this was a hard question. So it turns clockwise looking at it from the crankshaft pulley/fan or from the flywheel? As for the fan blades I assume you mean the squirrel cage blades. I'll give that a look, thanks.
swood
Just thought I'd chime in with my current avatar and all. The left side is the fan side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.