Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Band Around Gear Plastic Box - Stumpted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
How the heck does the band with the cotter key around the gear box work?
I have spun it both ways and it does not slacken?

Stumpted? do you trash it an get anther one?
SLKWrx
Just went through this... I bought a 6 inch hose clamp and never looked back. Once it came apart, I was confused.
gothspeed
that hose clamp idea sounds like a good replacement smile.gif
r_towle
It should be crimped like the stock fuel hose clamps at the injectors were.

I use a small screw driver and unfold the crimped section so it loosens up...then unhook the clipped together part.

Installation is in reverse...hook up the hooks again then I use a nail puller or a pair of wire cutters to gently crimp it again.

Rich
maf914
Does anybody remember the cans that ham and roast/corned beef used to come in? There was a small metal key tacked to the top. You snapped off the key, pried up a small tab on the side, threaded the tab through the slot in the key, then rotated the key which separated a band around the can which wound around the key. That is what the band around the shift console cover remins me of. Ham and beef! chowtime.gif laugh.gif

Maybe too long ago. confused24.gif
carr914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 30 2012, 02:49 PM) *

Does anybody remember the cans that ham and roast/corned beef used to come in? There was a small metal key tacked to the top. You snapped off the key, pried up a small tab on the side, threaded the tab through the slot in the key, then rotated the key which separated a band around the can which wound around the key. That is what the band around the shift console cover remins me of. Ham and beef! chowtime.gif laugh.gif

Maybe too long ago. confused24.gif

That would be Spam in a Can icon8.gif barf.gif
Bob L.
Zip tie(s) works, just get it tight. Not concourse but...
jcb29
The metal strap can be "un-wound" at the key, however, be very cautious when working with it. The threading can be tricky so take pictures as you remove it for future reference. It was not meant to take many windings and will break. If concours is not your thing then a large hose clamp (or several smaller ones) works just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.