Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 input shaft seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
what does it take to change the seal at the input shaft on the tranny?

i remember somewhere reading it was tricky and some had to re-do the job a couple times.

also, who stocks these seals?

thanks
skline
Pelican sells them, I have bought them before, as for changing it out, I didnt have any problems. It was pretty easy and it didnt leak so I am guessing I did it right. That is the one that you remove two bolts I think right?
Cano
Doing mine was not too bad. Remove the shift fork, then remove the two bolts that secure the "collar." Pull out the old seal with a pick or screwdriver, taking care not to scratch the housing. Lube the inside of the new seal, and press it in, going from side to side to do it evenly. Make sure the spring inside the seal does not get caught or distorted on the shaft.
TheCabinetmaker
The seal can pushed in too far, and fall out inside the tranni. Do a search on Joseph222. He's a been there done that guy.
machina
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 2 2004, 11:33 AM)
The seal can pushed in too far, and fall out inside the tranni. Do a search on Joseph222. He's a been there done that guy.

I guess that's what I remember re: the seal installation.
Bruce Allert
I had trouble getting mine out with all the recomendations of the screwdrive & bent pointy thing... I went to FLAPS & bought a seal puller for $8, it looks like a flat/thin claw hammer with a pointy claw on both sides, one bigger than the other. Based on leverage like pulling a nail. Worked slicker'n shit beer.gif I posted a pic of it somewhere on here but the search came up with nadda.

........b
machina
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Nov 2 2004, 03:06 PM)
I posted a pic of it somewhere on here but the search came up with nadda.

........b

found it here,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=11889&hl=seal

you know I have had one of those pullers in my toolbox for 15 years and I never knew what it was for wacko.gif
Red-Beard
If you push the seal in too far, it doesn't "fall" in the tranny. It's still on the shaft.
McMark
I don't know why people don't have seal pullers. So many uses. I'm glad you have one. I just did this job last night and it went smooth. I used the guide to push it into place. I only pushed it in far enough to let the guide seat smoothly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.