Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just curious
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgw
I'm just wondering if anyone has bought parts from QRS Fiberglass. They have what seems to me to be an interesting shipping policy, from their web site:

Damage claims: QRS Fiberglass is not responsible for any shipment damaged in transit. All damage claims must be made direcly to the frieght carrier, not QRS. Our responsibility ceases on delivery of the merchandise to the freight carrier.

If you did buy something, did you have any issues with shipping damage? I am looking at their rear deck lid with spoiler, which is a large item and seems like a fumble fingered delivery person could damage it. I don't know how hard it is to recover damages from UPS.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dgw @ Oct 31 2012, 10:06 AM) *

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought parts from QRS Fiberglass. They have what seems to me to be an interesting shipping policy, from their web site:

Damage claims: QRS Fiberglass is not responsible for any shipment damaged in transit. All damage claims must be made direcly to the frieght carrier, not QRS. Our responsibility ceases on delivery of the merchandise to the freight carrier.

The problem there is that UPS & the other shippers only recognize the shipper who paid for the shipping to have any rights to make a claim, as I recently found out with a Northern Tool shipment this summer.

Either they have to take responsibility or you have to ship it via your own account, or else nobody can make a shipping damage claim.

Perhaps calling them to explain this dilemma will change their mind on that BS escape clause shipping policy! confused24.gif

PS - I just noticed that you're in the Bay Area, and IIRC QRS is here in SoCal - that - added to the super-high cost of shipping oversized items, you may be better off making a trip to pick the large FG parts up & spend the shipping cost on gas & trip expenses!
Elliot Cannon
I just bought front and rear fenders with GT flairs, rocker panels and both trunk lids from QRS. I picked them up myself from their place in Hemet and brought them home myself, so damage was minimal. biggrin.gif Interestingly, they made a point of saying that once they handed the parts to me to put in my truck, they were no longer responsible for any damage. If you're concerned about shipping, I would ask them to describe how the items are packed. What provisions are made to see that the items you buy are shipped safely? Frankly I don't think their shipping policy is any different from anyone else. I haven't tried to install any of the parts yet but the quality of their work looks great. I made it clear, I wanted the parts for a street car, so they made them a bit thicker. They will also make thin lightweight pieces for a race car. Good luck.
Cheers, Elliot
Mikey914
I ship my parts F.O.B my dock freight prepaid and insurred. If pick up is not an option, the option to add insurance is usually cheap.

For me the terms are a matter of not creating a nexus by owning property in a state that requires taxes to be collected.

In a nutshell what has probably happened is they had qute a few claims either due to "inadequate" packaging, or the carrier they used beat the hell out of thier freight, and then they couldn't prove they were adequately packaged.

The catch is they have to be packed well enough to meet the insurrance requirements. This is why I often have custom boxes made. It's hard to argue that they were not packaged adequately when you have a box specifically made for the product. I'm doing this for the bumper tops.

local pick up I'm sure would be preferred by them.
URY914
Have them send you pictures of the boxes before pickup by the shipper. Thats what I do before I sent some big stuff UPS.
mepstein
Call your credit card company and ask how you are protected when you use their product.
Mike Bellis
You as the buyer are supposed to check the packaging when UPS arrives. If it is damaged, refuse delivery.
JStroud
Or you could drive 2 hrs and buy the used one I have.

Jeff
DBCooper
I ran a company that both shipped and received a lot via UPS, I can tell you that UPS never damaged anything in shipment. There was a lot of stuff damaged, but according to UPS the reason, without exception, was inadequate packaging. To a degree they have a point, if it's "adequately" packaged no one will be able to break it, but on the other side there's nothing, no matter how well packaged, that some shipping chimp with a little effort is not going to be able to break.

If you find a solution to that dilemma then congrats, because I never did. You just pack it as good as possible (and economical) and hope for the best. I'd guess QRS' policy is probably the result of similar experience.
Elliot Cannon
"FRAGILE" & "THIS SIDE UP" stickers usually results in the item being turned upside down and slammed to the ground. av-943.gif
raw1298
I bought all my gt fenders from them and they shipped with no problems.
URY914
Build a plywood box and ship it to them. Have them return your parts in the box. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.