Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another brake bleeding thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
First, what I have. Fairly new 19mm master cylinder, fluid changed every 6 months or so, car built mainly for DE's. All calipers in good order. Fronts are aluminum Brembo AM calipers from Eric Shea with stock 911 size pistons.

Now the bizarre part. While bleeding the brakes using the buddy method which has always worked for me (push down, open bleeder, close bleeder, pull up), I get very little fluid out of the fronts. What I noticed is with no pressure on the brake pedal, if I open the bleeder valve, more fluid gets pulled back through the bleeder tube than when pushing on the pedal! This is how I get the best pedal though it isn't as firm as I would like.

So I took the feed line closest to the front of the car off to make sure nothing was blocking the port. I also pulled the grommet and the little spacer washer below the grommet out. Everything was totally clean.

This is too weird. Does the front feed line on the MC feed the front brakes as would seem logical? I'm at a loss why it won't bleed normally. WTF.gif
pilothyer
If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let us know, but I think the front most feed line supplies fluid to the rear brake system and the rear most line feeds the front brakes. You can confirm this by looking at the lines that go to the calipers. The front half of the master cylinder should feed the line that goes through the tunnel to the rear brakes, and the rear half should feed the T fitting for the fronts.
pilothyer
Here is a link to some helpful master cylinder information. This link takes you directly to part 5, but you will have access to all 7 parts. Master Cylinder Diagrams
stugray
do you have a bias valve?

I have had fronts that you could barely get flow through.
The flex lines were old and rotted/swollen on the inside.
I replaced them and solved the problem.
I assume since you have recently replaced the calipers, old flex lines should not be the problem.

Stu
tomeric914
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Nov 1 2012, 04:04 PM) *

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let us know, but I think the front most feed line supplies fluid to the rear brake system and the rear most line feeds the front brakes. You can confirm this by looking at the lines that go to the calipers. The front half of the master cylinder should feed the line that goes through the tunnel to the rear brakes, and the rear half should feed the T fitting for the fronts.

Thanks for the link. It's a nice diagramatic view in general but not specific to the 914. I'll need to find an old MC and pull it apart.

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 1 2012, 06:11 PM) *

do you have a bias valve?

I have had fronts that you could barely get flow through.
The flex lines were old and rotted/swollen on the inside.
I replaced them and solved the problem.
I assume since you have recently replaced the calipers, old flex lines should not be the problem.

I replaced mine with SS braided 2 years ago. I have experienced the swoillen line problem on other cars I've worked on.

It seems like a flow restriction of some sort on the feed side from the reservoir.
sixnotfour
Do you have pedal free space between the master cylinder and the plunger ? should be 1mm
tomeric914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 2 2012, 02:35 AM) *

Do you have pedal free space between the master cylinder and the plunger ? should be 1mm

Good point, I experienced that on another vehicle. I'm pretty sure I have that but will double check. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.