Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original riviera wheel questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Thinking of buying a set of original Riviera wheels...not the repos. Do they use ball, cone, or ?? Lug bolts?
whats the weight of that wheel?
Fitment on late front hubs with centering ring? Ok or no?

Thanks

gothspeed
I have a set of original Rivieras and they use the stock 'ball' lug bolts.
914werke
they use a standard "short" OE Lug bolt w/Ball seats.
weight is HEAVY
fitment is no problem
Caps are kinda tough as the orig. ones use a LARGE diam. chrome cone center cap that are hard to find, if you dont get them with the wheels. .
bandjoey
Thanks. Do u like the wheels on your teener?
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 1 2012, 09:07 AM) *

Thanks. Do u like the wheels on your teener?

PS - fitment on late hubs should be OK - so long as they have the groove on the back to receive the hubcentric lip, otherwise a machine shop can cut them into all wheels to ease tire rotation, flat changes, etc.

Click to view attachment

I agree with Gothspeed on the lugs, fitment-wise, you may find that some wider tires may rub - I did with the early 195/65HR15s when turning full lock-to-lock.

IN late 75 when I bought mine 3 years old, mine had original Rivs on my early `73 914-2.0 "914 S" - which should have had the 2L Fuchs, but the PO or dealer had swapped them (I have a set of Fuchs 2Ls to go on after my resto).

It didn't bother me then, because it gave the 914/4s a 5-lug look with 5 spoke design, without doing a 5-lug conversion, which wasn't done AFAIK in the 70s on /4s. However, they are heavier than Steelies, Mahle 4-lug, Pedini or Fuchs 2L wheels. I still like the look....

Click to view attachment

Since the original Rivs don't have outer lips (which is how you can tell original from repops - see pic below), the tire shops must use stick-on weights.

There is a guy "TheAdante" on TheSamba & evilBay from San Antonio & a few other vendors who sell the proper size plasti-chrome cone center caps, but they won't have the "double-r" logo in the center in my pic below - although you can get Porsche crests for them.

Mine are the brushed aluminum finish - rather than polished - so they were more of a PITA to keep looking nice with the salty sea air oxidation, then living just blocks from the beach in Hunt. Bch. back then.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.