Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIN....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
What is a good kind of paint to use on my tin...
And has anyone ever use something other than black...

I will clean it up first..
monkeyboy
Personally I think they look silly in any color other than grey or black, but it's just me.

I recommend powdercoating.
oldschool
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Nov 1 2012, 03:01 PM) *

Personally I think they look silly in any color other than grey or black, but it's just me.

I recommend powdercoating.

Yeah..what would that cost..
Cap'n Krusty
I hope that's not for the same engine as the air cleaner, because that appears to be 2 liter tin.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
I did mine in red. Looked way cool with carbs.
Then I just did them again in black since I am going back to FI.
oldschool
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2012, 03:09 PM) *

I hope that's not for the same engine as the air cleaner, because that appears to be 2 liter tin.

The Cap'n

NO.....1.7 my other motor laugh.gif
LotusJoe
I went with a mat black powder coat. I think it was like $65.00. And Ferrari red crinkle on the blower.

Click to view attachment
oldschool
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Nov 1 2012, 03:22 PM) *

I went with a mat black powder coat. I think it was like $65.00. And Ferrari red crinkle on the blower.

Click to view attachment

Nice joe...
Highland
I just took 6 pieces to get powder coated in flat black at North County Powder Coating in San Marcos, CA for $75. The 6 pieces were the 2 top cylinder bank covers, the 2 small bottom tins between the pushrods and cylinders, and the 2 valve covers.

I tried painting some other pieces with VHT case paint (cause the instructions don't say anything about bake curing), but it was way too much work to clean off all the surface rust without a sand blaster and sand blasting is included in the powder coating charge. They just advised washing off the grease.
zymurgist
$75 is cheap. If you consider the cost of time and materials to do it yourself (even if you have the dedicated powdercoating oven in the garage already), it's a deal.
somd914
I had the fan housing media blasted and powder coated for $130, engine tins were in the $250 range for blasting and coating, I cheaped out there and stripped them and went with engine paint. I did the tin between the engine and tranny in silver to brighten up the engine bay given my car is silver.

I thought about red tins, but I like the black better, just got a set a red plug wires today and will also go with red rain hats for a little splash of color.

But for each their own, do what you like.
ConeDodger
Dan Thompson did his in red a few years back. I think he has sold the car since then but it looked pretty cool!
Germancar-Junkie
I actually prefer body matched color. Inside the engine bay Hugger Orange looks close enough to Tangerine from my house. WTF.gif
G e o r g e
I went with as close to Aluminum as I could at the time
'73-914kid
Jaime, I had mine powdercoated bright red at North County Powdercoat as well, down here in San Marcos. IIRC, it was $85 for the red, and it came out really nice.

Personally, on a stock engine, and fairly stock car like yours Jaime, I would just have it powder coated black, with grey painted intakes.

Oh, and if you don't feel like powdercoating the tin, VHT engine block paint holds up REALLY well, and doesn't melt when gas hits it, unlike duplicolor stuff.
jim_hoyland
Any color that reveals misc leaks. I powder coated my tin in silver-sparkle. East to keep clean.
mittelmotor
Hey, I recognize that tin!! Glad you're getting on with the project.

--Doug
oldschool
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 1 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Jaime, I had mine powdercoated bright red at North County Powdercoat as well, down here in San Marcos. IIRC, it was $85 for the red, and it came out really nice.

Personally, on a stock engine, and fairly stock car like yours Jaime, I would just have it powder coated black, with grey painted intakes.

Oh, and if you don't feel like powdercoating the tin, VHT engine block paint holds up REALLY well, and doesn't melt when gas hits it, unlike duplicolor stuff.

I think your right man....clean it and paint Black lol..That's how they came.
Rand
Paint it invisible. Then when everyone sees the ground they will scoff and wonder. And yet your engine will be cool. Win / win.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.