Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How low do you go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Curious to know how high/low my car is riding compared to others. How much clearance should I have from the ground to the bottom of the (stock) valance? Or is it easier to measure to the bumper?

Still trying to get my teener roadworthy and have a couple of hours to kill today. Front end looks a little too high, but I don't know if it's because of the tires I have installed (195/50-15 - Kumho).

Thanks,

Carlos
Joseph Mills
A lot of teeners are measured at the "doughnut" lift points since they're at the frame. Fender and fender well heights can vary.

My stock front valence measures 5" to the ground.

The doughnuts are 4.25". My A-arms are parallel to the ground.

It's about as low as you can go. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Go down till the A-arms are level to the ground. Yes it will appear that it is too high with those roller skate wheels on it.

I can get my foot under the cow catcher air dam. Well just the toes really rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
4.0 to the donuts (and on 50 series tires ohmy.gif )
tommy914
Another thing to consider.
You don't want the front to be too much lower than the back or it may upset the balance.

I think my "donuts" in the front are about 1/2 inch lower than the back,
J P Stein
Mines set 4.5/4.75 front to rear, ground to doughnuts. 22.5 inch dia tires.
I don't have "dust covers" on my front struts. so I can see how much travel is being used
in front. The answer is "all of it" (about 2.5 in of travel at the strut). I cut one bump off my bump stops to keep the suspension from bottoming (21mm bars). Bottoming the front suspension will give you instant push.

Go low, but use care.
bam914
Mine is 3 1/4 at the front dounut and 3 3/4 in the rear. 205/50/15 tires. Still have over 3 inches of shock travel. The tires hit the fenders before the shocks do.

Blake
Brett W
Damn blake I wish I had known you were still around. I was in Hotlanta last weekend.
wannateener
we sometimes are all a little cavalier about our suspension bottoming.
i can tell you that when you are contantly botoming the forces transmited to heim joints , end links and the like are huge.
inspect all of these areas and correct the problem and avoid tragic results.
things like binding heim joints can kill you quick and hopefully , you wont take someone else with you.
there are several practical books for designand tuning available that we all can understand.
both Race Car Chassis by Forbes Aird and Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn were a great aid whene we had the roundy round cars but all the info crosses over. i refer to both on a weekly basis.

jt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.