Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Ok - I can feel with my fingers on the top of the flywheel the mark.
So as I understand I am at TDC.
(made a mark in window on bottom)
Now I assume I check #1 Ex & #2 In #3 Ex & #4 In -- in this position
(#1 exhause is open)
Then Turn 90 degrees more on rotor until mark on flywheel and continue.
#4 Ex & #1 In #2 Ex & #3 In

#2 Ex & #3 In #4 Ex & #1 In
#1 Ex & #2 In #3 Ex & #4 In
#4 Ex & #1 In #2 Ex & #3 In
#3 Ex & #4 In #1 Ex & #2 In

My confusion is some say at TDC nothing is open....???
Mine #1Exh seems to be open unless I missed someting?
Rand
Deja vu. Did you already forget your other thread(s)?
Oh yeah, this is the secret spam test that flies under the radar.
MDG
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 1 2012, 09:59 PM) *

Deja vu. Did you already forget your other thread(s)?
Oh yeah, this is the secret spam test that flies under the radar.

agree.gif

4th valve adjustment thread in less than 48 hours. Ummm. . . you do realize you keep hitting the 'new thread' button instead of the 'add reply' button, right? poke.gif
kbrunk1
If you read the other thread there was so much jibberish that it got real confusing.

The real issue that I was trying to get confirmed is that at TDC (per folks on that thread) they say all valves should be closed.

My concern is that I have one open.
Can anyone comment on just this question? Thanks
Rand
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Nov 1 2012, 07:40 PM) *

If you read the other thread there was so much jibberish that it got real confusing.

The real issue that I was trying to get confirmed is that at TDC (per folks on that thread) they say all valves should be closed.

My concern is that I have one open.
Can anyone comment on just this question? Thanks

There's always a valve open. And closed. Try reading the how-to threads again. Or, since I polluted this one, maybe open a new thread? Or two?

Or maybe you could start at the top of THIS thread and just DO IT.

Some member of the sandbox is impersonating brunk. Ok, joke is over. oOF.
Cap'n Krusty
At TDC compression stroke for any given cylinder, both valves in THAT cylinder are closed. That means you have to turn the crankshaft 180 degrees for EACH successive cylinder's adjustment. That, my friend, is why my method is simpler and superior to the one described in the Pelican tech article. I don't have to find TDC, nor do I have to make any marks or jump up and down to look at the distributor rotor. I'm old, and I don't need that shit.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
The flywheel mark being at the top means you're at TDC for either the #1 or the #3 cylinder. You can look at the distributor rotor or at the valves to figure out which.

When a cylinder is at TDC, both valves for that cylinder will be closed. They'll have some slack, and you should be able to move them side-to-side. (Unless the springs on the rocker shaft have been replaced with solid spacers.) Adjust that one cylinder only at that point.

Then you turn the crank 180 degrees to put another cylinder at TDC, and adjust both valves for that cylinder. Then turn the crank another 180, do another cylinder, and another 180 and the last cylinder.

You don't do multiple cylinders at the same time with this method.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.