Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool914
Well, thought I would clean up the trunk a little before I took the bumper off to put it on the rotisserie to fix the longs. One thing leads to another. Good place to practice welding, but not fun to shape metal and grind in. There goes the summer...
Click to view attachment
Cool914
1xClick to view attachment
silver74insocal
that looks really good dude. keep posting beerchug.gif
Cool914
1wClick to view attachment
wingnut86
I think Otto's still had some trunk sheetmetal replacement pieces he was trying to sell about a month ago.

Otto's Venice (?)...
Cool914
Click to view attachmentasd
Cool914
sdfClick to view attachment
Cool914
asdClick to view attachment
Cool914
fasClick to view attachment
Cool914
Don't underestimate the time it takes to prep replacement pieces, and the number of spot weld bits....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cool914
It took endless hours of staring at all those curves, templates, measuring. The welding would have gone much better, had I known that the roller I had in it was for aluminum (bought it off a guy who last used it to build a aluminum gas tank for the plane he was building in his garage...whole other story). It was feeding irratically, then finally figured out the roller issue, touch a week to get the roller shipped.
lots of rust under the brace, but cleaned up nice.
Lots of time spent cleaning tar and seam sealer out of the trunk, once I started couldnt stop though.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
m
Cool914
Welds are not the prettiest, but not bad for a beginner, and since the bumper will cover it I didnt really worry about it. I cleanedup the heat shield, alot of seam sealer all over it, was it meant to absorb the heat as well? Just figuring out where weld the heat shield tabs took forever, decided to weld bolts to the tabs so I could seal and paint it all later then just bolt it one.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I should not have expected anything different when I took the front bumper off. Will I ever get this on the rotisserie??
Cool914
forgot one.
Click to view attachment

I took a break after this and rented a 911 in Frankfurt while there on business, and drove to the porsche museum for inspiration, but there was only 1 914 there, and it was not a 4 or a six.

Check out the contraption they had in the hotel in Stuttgart to park in, it lifts up so another one can park underneath, scary driving in a rented vehicle.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ldsgeek
Your front mounts look slightly better than mine did. I fabricated new brackets and replaced everything, including the wall to the headlight bucket, on both sides. I had to cut the front of each fender of to gain access to the brackets. Look here for what I did http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=188537&hl=
Cool914
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Nov 2 2012, 06:35 AM) *

Your front mounts look slightly better than mine did. I fabricated new brackets and replaced everything, including the wall to the headlight bucket, on both sides. I had to cut the front of each fender of to gain access to the brackets. Look here for what I did http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=188537&hl=

Nice work. I think the mounts will be ok, still need to clean them up and have a closer look once I get the wheels off and also peel back the bumper metal but good to see your approach in case....

I have some replacement fender/bumper area metal en route shortly.
gothspeed
looks good! Thanks for posting ..... these types of threads keep me motivated ........ smile.gif!
kid914
Are you a member of the Ottawa chapter??? If yes i might be doing the same soon. maybe we can help each other??? drunk.gif
Cool914
QUOTE(kid914 @ Nov 2 2012, 04:46 PM) *

Are you a member of the Ottawa chapter??? If yes i might be doing the same soon. maybe we can help each other??? drunk.gif

That I am, and yes always good to have someone else scratching their head looking at rust.
kid914
QUOTE(Cool914 @ Nov 2 2012, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(kid914 @ Nov 2 2012, 04:46 PM) *

That I am, and yes always good to have someone else scratching their head looking at rust.

Let me know when and where i'd like to see your progress up close. beerchug.gif
Marc
FourBlades

Nice work! piratenanner.gif

Blair rotorbroach + cutting oil + slow speed will last almost forever cutting spot
welds. They cost a lot to start with but cut so much faster than those $15 bits.

John
ajserrano
Hi Greg! I remember those days, and I still have a couple of areas to address in the front trunk. Get the chassis done right, paint is very expensive and you don't want to cut-corners if possible. headbang.gif
Cool914
QUOTE(ajserrano @ Feb 7 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Hi Greg! I remember those days, and I still have a couple of areas to address in the front trunk. Get the chassis done right, paint is very expensive and you don't want to cut-corners if possible. headbang.gif

Thanks for the advice Armando,
I am taking my sweet time on it, will make sure I get all the rust I can out. I am not going for perfection but want to get it right. You website has some great documentation to follow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.