Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Cover Gaskets - Cork or ? Some type of Rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
I have two questions.

1) What is the best way to put the spring clips back on valve covers.
Short screwdriver, long or 45 degree angle use muffler(not)

2) Why is there not some sort of rubber gasket instead of cork?
Is cork better? Seems like old technology to me...??

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Cork better. Some gaskets have a cork/rubber mix. I don't use them unless i have to .

I put my cover in place and make sure it's setting properly, then ease the bale up as far a as I can get it by hand. My hands are not as strong as they used to be. Then I use a screwdriver to coax it home while making sure the cover does not move.

Are you not gonna ask about sealing methods?
Woody
Glue em in place with gorilla snot.
Mikey914
Mine are a mix of rubber and cork, slightly thicker to get more sealing pressure. Anyone want to chime in about how well they work?
tdgray
Make sure to use RTV....lots of it....

Oh and make sure you tell the Capn when u do

Rand
"Use muffler?"

If you mix gorilla snot with rtv and sex wax...... Well let's just say you won't fall off your board.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 3 2012, 10:25 AM) *

Mine are a mix of rubber and cork, slightly thicker to get more sealing pressure. Anyone want to chime in about how well they work?

Actually, I should clarify. I think they are all a mix. Some I have seen are mostly rubber and very little cork. They don't work very well. Mark's look to be the same composition as what i normally use. In fact, I installed my first set of Mark's on a car today. The car will be back in a couple of weeks and I'll report how they are doing.
Cevan
I use the cheap cork ones with a little Permatex Form-a-gasket sealant between the valve cover and the gasket. Nothing between the gasket and head.
nathansnathan
I tried the pure silicone gaskets a while ago as they say they are reusable forever, but I couldn't get them to seal even once.

Cork is the way to go, silicone or curil T to the cover, not to the head though. I just bought 30 of these gaskets from the bus depot, Elring, they were on sale from like $2 to $1 so I am all stocked with like many years' supply for $30. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.