Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: winterizing fuel what do you use ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Just wondering what fuel stabilizer you guys are using ? I know about Sta-Bil, Seafoam and I noticed at the FLAPS today a version by CRC. So what to use ? To be honest I bought 2 cans of the CRC and dumped one can into the GMC diesel even though she's a driver. Just wanted to see what it would do. But I have the 911 , 914 , the beemer bike and various outdoor power products to winterize. So what say the wisdom of the board ?
ConeDodger
StaBil... Though, the weather is so nice here, I drive them in the winter too...
GeorgeRud
It's become more and more of a problem with today's fuels turning into a very foul smelling jelly in a short period of time. I think the best option is to continue using and running fuel through the vehicle.

If you can get real fuel (not the Crapanol laced stuff many have to deal with), I'd fill the tanks with that and then add Sta-Bil or SeaFoam. I've used both successfully in the past, but don't let the fuel sit longer than 6 months. If you'd have a way to drain and use up the fuel and refill with fresh, that would probably be the best way.

I had to let a car sit for a year, and had to have the carbs flushed and rebuilt ($850 for the two Webers) from the fuel jelling. Kind of wish I could drive them year round to try to not have to do this again, but the winter salt really eats cars up here.
carr914
Rick, Winterize? You live in Atlanta, get out & Drive those things driving.gif
timothy_nd28
I'm sure there is a slew of additives you could use, but these new fuels have Ethanol within, which makes the fuel hygroscopic. I would run the tank empty on cars that don't have a closed fuel systems.
Tilly74
We have a lot of fuel issues with motorcycles at our dealership. A few things we tell customers:

"If the gas is clear, you're in the clear, if your gas is yellow, you're a stranded fellow"

Fuel starts to deteriorate at about 2 weeks, and you have to include the amount of time it's spent in transit to the station, and sitting in the tanks. I've taken gas back to a station before because of how yellow it was. It was supposedly 93 octane, no ethanol. It was about the color of mountain dew. Sometimes in a station that normally deals in 87 octane only, the premium fuel in their tanks can be many months old before you ever get a hold of it. From what I understand, they don't include preservatives in the fuel for emissions reasons like they used to.

Sta-Bil, Seafoam, or Fuel-Med (what we use for motorcycles) should take care of any "good fuel"
dian
hm, i have many cars and most of them sit during the winter. no problems with the gas. the 914 was sitting for 10 years or so, no problem with the gas. but here we dont have ethanol in the gas. does ethanol cause the problems?
timothy_nd28
Alcohol has a negative OH hydroxyl group that is always seeking a hydrogen to stabilize itself. Take a small bowl and fill it with any fuel that contains ethanol. Walk away for a few hours, then recheck. You will find water droplets forming at the bottom. If you want to see this reaction in real time, take the bowl with ethanol, and have a fan blowing over the bowl. The fan acts as a catalyst, and you can see the chemical reaction happen before your eyes. There is some videos on the web showing this.
Most vented fuel systems that are open to the environment suffer from ethanol fuels. Most older cars, boats and lawnmowers suffer from ethanol fuels. Most modern cars have a closed fuel system, that keeps your fuel tank isolated from atmospheric conditions.
dian
so its the moisture. but why yellow?
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 3 2012, 07:44 AM) *

Rick, Winterize? You live in Atlanta, get out & Drive those things driving.gif

Hey T.C. of course that is the best solution ! But it seems like in the blink of an eye they have sat for a month without running. The 914 is at Franz Blam at the moment getting some engine work done and when I get her back I want to avoid future problems with the carbs.
carr914
Rick, start buying Fuel without Ethanol

UNBRANDED 90 S A White Oil Co 590 Atlanta St Marietta
URY914
What is "winter"?
Gint
I started my 914 after a year and a half using the gallon or so of gas I'd left in it before taking the motor out. I had put Stabil into the tank and used it all up except that last gallon. It started up on the second turn of the key and drove down to the gas station to fill up. I'm sold on their product.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.