Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor "squeak"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
A "squeaking" or "chirping" noise started coming from my engine bay a couple weeks ago. Curt thought it might be the points so I swapped them out. Still chirped. Car would run great once warmed up but was tough to get started at some times. Would do a quick adjustment to the points and it would fire right up. Installed a new set and thought that would be it. Nope dry.gif
It was at this point I noticed when I wiggled the distributor shaft, it chirped like crazy! So today I pulled it and swapped the trigger board, the points and condensor onto another dizzy I have (205 Q vs the chirping 205 F ), installed and it would not fire. sad.gif So I swapped everything back to the original and it fired right up.

Question 1: any ideas why the 2nd dizzy would not work? Do I need to swap out the vac canister and plate as well? Or are the 205 F and the 205 Q not compatible?

Question 2: is there a lubricant I can use on the squeaking one?

thanks,

driving.gif
Tom_T
Steve, the Points should come with dizzy cam grease & the contact needs a dab, same at trigger points' cam.
charliew
If it's like most other older distributors there are weights on a pivoting plate that advances the timing from centrifugal force. It's called the mechanical advance. There is a felt plug in the center of the top of the shaft under the rotor, that you put a few drops of motor oil on when you change the points. Also where the weights pivot needs a light grease on the studs and the spring anchors. If you twist the rotor and it squeaks thats where the oil goes.

What Tom means is that you put the cam grease on the front side of the points rubbing block to keep the rubbing block lubricated.
poorsche914
Tom - yep, got the grease at those points. thanks.

Charlie - will try some light grease and hope that does the trick. thanks.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.