Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dynamat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nealnorlack
Has anybody ever used Dyamat on the firewall? Is it affected by heat from the engine compartment? Ayway, I am looking for an alternative for the old sound pad.
Cheers, Elliot
Qarl
What is dynamat like? Dense neoprene? Open celled light foam? I've seen stuff from Performance Products thats for the engine bay (shiny aluminized foil on one side). I think that's more of a heat-reflector than a sound insulator. I installed that in the engine compartment on my last 914. Looked alright.

I think something like thin, dense neoprene (just like a rubber mousepad) would work great as a firewall sound insulating material. It's dense and can block sound. I'm not sure if this is available in sheets elsewhere cheaper han Dynamat.

Seems you could buy sheets of it... Maybe 3/16" and adhere it to the firewall and floorboard with 3M spray adhesive.

Whaddya think? Opinions? Any Been there done thats?

Thanks,

Karl
Britain Smith
Hey something that I can answer...

I used a layer of dynomat between my engine and the back seats (the firewall) on my 912. I did this to lower the engine noise during stereo competitions. I did notice a slightly bit lower noise in the cabin but it didn't make much of a difference overall because the engine was so loud.

-Britain
Mueller
Summit Racing sells a special Dynomat for the engine compartment....

best prices I've seen as well..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.