Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Carbs were full of water. Hmm Lets add up the evidence. P.O. Had no garage. car had no rain tray. No hats over the filters.

Now I got to drop the motor to see what else is in store for my 70 project car. Damn Aluminum valve covers won't come off because they hit the suspension ears.
Eric_Ciampa
That sucks... I know one 914 owner who had a gutter fail above his 914. of course he had no rain tray and dellorto carbs. the result was water in the engine and the engine needing a rebuild. sorry to hear about your problems
Joe Ricard
No worries, got wrenches and not afraid to turn them.
ruddyboys
When I got my car it sat in a field with just a car cover and no rain tray for 5 years. All the cylinders were pitted from water sitting in them. I even found out you dont lie directly under HE's to remove them when the cylinders were full of water.
Root_Werks
Joe, is this a new 914 for you? Got any pic's of it? Yeah, sorry to hear about your engine, but I bet you will fix it up! smash.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup my new project. Read 70 Grey project car. all pics were in the classifieds the P.O. had. Seller was Ron Talens. He hung out on the bird board.

Should keep me out of the yellow one for a good while. Yellow one is for racing and sunny days. Stays up in a garage that is nicer than my house.
Joe Bob
Sorry to hear about the hydro lock....since it probably needs a rebuild anyways....in lieu of having SLITS suck start it for ya.... blink.gif

Pull the carbs and empty them out...Pull the plugs.....blow out the water and fill with marvel mystery oil for a few day-week.....change the crankcase oil then try and tun it over by hand.....if it turns freely, do a compression check.

What do you have to lose?

I had a Chebbie that fired up an ran for 20K miles after a water bath like that....
Joe Ricard
Yup that is what I plan fill er up with oil. It rolled over even on a 1/2 dead battery. Oil isn't milky so I don't think he ever had it running. Since I couldn't get much info out of him like what was the compression ratio of the motor since it has 96 Pistons in it. 1.7L heads and claiming 48 x38 valves. Hey what cam ya got in there answer "idonno"

Ya'll should sleep soundly knowing that this 1970 Porsche 914 will live again. #6556 Guess we needs to ad it to the list.
Joe Ricard
So it get worse. I couldn't stand it any more and yanked the motor last night. Tore it down to the short block.
Things that were jacked up:
- Transaxle input shaft leaks
- Head to cylinder had a very thick copper ring that was to small in diameter.
- All 96mm pistons were severely scuffed on the skirts. Probably junk now.
Cylinders were cut at the base Maybe why there was the goofy copper head ring
- Oh the # 1 set of rocker arms was not bolted down. one stud broke and no nut on the other stud!!!!
- Cam is grooved (shot)
- 1.7L Heads were fly cut and do have 48 X 38 valves
- Main bearing and rod bearings shot.
- Some kind of funky spark plug threw em in my 2.0L and the damn thing would hardly run. (you can pick em out of my trash can).
And to top it off there was a knuckle head trying to do port work. The 1st 1.5 inches is smooth as a baby's ass along with the intakes.

These must be the cheap pistons and Cylinders. Pistons have a valve relief in them and a C S mark cast in the bottom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.