Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door hard to unlock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
As it has been getting colder, the driverside door has been a little tricky to lock or unlock. I put the key in and try to turn and it does not turn at all. WTF.gif i wiglle the key clockwise and back about four or more times and then it unlocks.

what do i need?

am i gonna soon be locked out with no way in

(never had a key to my passenger door)

popcorn[1].gif
Cap'n Krusty
Pull the door panel, liberally spray the latch mechanism with a good quality penetrating oil, work it a bunch of times, then maybe a little spray grease ( I use Wurth HHS 2000, a product that goes on wet and thickens over time). While you're at it, get a key made by the number. Might have to take the hood handle lock out to do that, assuming it matches the door.

The Cap'n
URY914
Send it to me after you break it. biggrin.gif
SLITS
Remove the latch mechanism, clean thoroughly and then grease it with lithium grease.

or

spray the hell out of it inside the door with brake cleaner and hope like hell it doesn't eat your paint.

They work effortlessly when clean & greased.
steuspeed
You can change the lock to match your drivers side. It's pretty easy. You might need some different size wafers to make it work. You won't know until you take them both apart.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...09&hl=rekey
pete000
40 year old grease gets really thick and dirty. There are also a plastic busing that crumbles. There is a nice replacement from 914 Rubber. I recommend taking it all apart and cleaning all of it with solvent, replace any broken parts and your good for another 40 years. I did all my locks. Takes some time, but they work like new now.

I think there is a how to somewhere here or on Pelican. When pulling the lock tumblers keep the key inserted or the wafers will shoot out ! I have done a few now and it is pretty easy to do. All of them were a real mess when I took them apart.

Good Luck ! aktion035.gif

hot_shoe914
DRY GRAPHITE! Way better than grease. Buy a tube of it at your local store and use it, you will be pleased.

Shoe
sean_v8_914
dirty gunked up door latch is primary cause of broken door handles. when the latch is dirty, you have to pull too hard on teh outer door handle to open teh door. from inside the car you pull too hard on the handle or bump teh door with your shoulder to get out, right?

you can fix it temporarily without disassembling the door but it WILL gunk up again soon. lube teh pivot . even if you spray carb cleaner a little it will free up for a while.
sean_v8_914
check out this groovy repair. it works but fitment is obviously off
sean_v8_914
most people blame teh plastic cam for sticky operation...not so
sean_v8_914
lube the horse shoe thingy
yes, the door seal is on teh wrong side
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.