Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I gotta say...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I've been driving my car for a few months now, and after driving over to Santa Rosa today, I gotta say that ol' 1.7 isn't a shabby engine. Sure, it doesn't throw you back in the seat. But I wouldn't call it slow and I certainly wouldn't pass on a good running car just because it was a 1.7.

Probably not sharing anything new, but I haven't seen a lot of posts that support the 1.7/1.8.

smile.gif
Gint
They're great at sea level. And awesome for cruising across the US. Every day at altitude is another story...
Elliot Cannon
You need to turbo that 1.7.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2012, 05:18 PM) *
I've been driving my car for a few months now, and after driving over to Santa Rosa today, I gotta say that ol' 1.7 isn't a shabby engine. Sure, it doesn't throw you back in the seat. But I wouldn't call it slow and I certainly wouldn't pass on a good running car just because it was a 1.7.

agree.gif

I had plenty of fun with my 1.7L D-Jet car ...
driving.gif
ConeDodger
They are actually a pretty formidable autocross car in the right hands. Momentum maintained and the 1.7 is hard to beat...

You should turbo it though... evilgrin.gif
JawjaPorsche
I have had my 1.7 for 40 years so I am little biased! The D-Jet engine is pretty much bullet proof if you maintain it. Like anything, it will last a long time if you will take care of it. Mine is the 73 version with the paper air filter.
DblDog
Mark...

That worn 1.7 with the M-S, third-fourth that you put in my '72 is still goin' strong...lots of fun.

I still have to talk to you about the fuel pump....soon

Bob
914werke
I agree, especially in 1911 trim. happy11.gif
Krieger
TURBO!
Black22
I started with a 1.8...now it's a 1911. MUCH nicer!
cary
I'm putting the old 1.7 back into my rustoration project.
Tune up and new hoses. Run it till it gets too tired.
Then we'll build the best MPG engine we can.
mightyohm
Is that my old 1.7? I drove that motor hard for years - 300 miles on I-5 in the hot summer with 240 degree oil temps, etc and it never complained.
johannes
I have a 1975 californian 1.8 also called "the ultimate boat anchor" thanks to its 74 hp engine and heavy bumpers.
Because the cat is not mandatory in France, it has been removed, the muffler is a Bursch and I dynoed the car at 80hp.
Bumpers have been reworked and dozen of pounds have been removed.
A few month ago, with this "boat anchor", I proudly have beaten all 911s and Boxsters in a short autoX ...
EdwardBlume
I AXed a 1.7 once and it blew. I could see how it would cruise though.
McMark
QUOTE(DblDog @ Nov 6 2012, 09:00 PM) *

Mark...

That worn 1.7 with the M-S, third-fourth that you put in my '72 is still goin' strong...lots of fun.

I still have to talk to you about the fuel pump....soon

Bob

Yeah, your 1.7 was one of the ones that motivated me to just put this engine in and drive. Haven't forgot about the fuel pump. Got spares here on the shelf. wink.gif

QUOTE(mightyohm @ Nov 7 2012, 12:45 AM) *

Is that my old 1.7? I drove that motor hard for years - 300 miles on I-5 in the hot summer with 240 degree oil temps, etc and it never complained.

Yup! It's been great.

QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 7 2012, 06:16 AM) *

I AXed a 1.7 once and it blew. I could see how it would cruise though.

Yeah, I'm gonna head over to Trekkor's AX on the 17th at Sears Point. We'll see what that's like. But on the freeway and around town, I got no complaints.

Okay, now to turbo it... happy11.gif
RFoulds
Glad to hear that cuz I bought my first 1.7 this week. should be here in a few days.
smile.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2012, 05:18 PM) *

Probably not sharing anything new, but I haven't seen a lot of posts that support the 1.7/1.8.

smile.gif

I bought mine from the PO for a great price about 5 years ago. They rebuilt it and looks like the case was bored .040 over.

Rebuilt the FI with Bowlsby harness when I got it and went over every bit of the D-jet FI and replace the MPS with a rebuilt.

It's no racing machine but around town and occasional fun runs is enjoyable.
Drums66
....I'm satisfied with them all!(never owned a 1.7?) hissyfit.gif
bye1.gif
FourBlades

Everyone knows you can't turbo a 914!

(OK someone had to repeat this persistent myth).

smile.gif

John
dale73914
Mine is a 73 1.7 and i love it.

Aside from a clunk into first sometimes, it's a dream to drive and fun .

With the Bursch exhaust it sounds good too smile.gif

Click to view attachment

JawjaPorsche
Nice looking teener!
beerchug.gif

QUOTE(dale73914 @ Nov 7 2012, 07:47 PM) *

Mine is a 73 1.7 and i love it.

Aside from a clunk into first sometimes, it's a dream to drive and fun .

With the Bursch exhaust it sounds good too smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
Between concours events - local and Parade my wife and I both auto-x'd the 1.7 with some degree of success. I did change to Konis and put a monster bar on the front. She did better than I because she never knew that there were brakes on the car. We were both more than competitve.
Alas, that vagaries of age have stricken me. Eyes are shot. But I have my memories of auto-x and early DE fun with this car. Amazed some people at past Parades too.
Pat

dirk9141973
biggrin.gif strong little engine and easy to up grade to 1911 or 2056 cost few $ but compare 911 rebuild great value driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.