Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Just wondern` what electronic conversion is felt to be the best(most reliable and easy ) I am installing the MSD 6AL this week-end.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(72914S @ Nov 3 2004, 04:45 AM)
Just wondern` what electronic conversion is felt to be the best(most reliable and easy ) I am installing the MSD 6AL this week-end.

i do not understand your question.

first you asked what kind is best, then you said you were installing a MSD-6AL anyway...

since you ask, my preference is Crane all the way.
HarveyH
Rich, I think he's really asking about a points replacement in addition to the CD/Multi-spark box.
A number of people here, and on other BBS/Forums/E-mail lists have reported trouble with the Pertronics, and swear by the Crane/Allison unit. On the other hand, I have been running a Pertronicsfor six or seven years now with no problems. There are also a couple of other devices available, all of whose names escape me right at the moment, that also have their supporters and detractors. My own opinion is that you pay your money and take your chances....
The major advantage of the points replacement is that it will eliminate the need to adjust/replace the points and condenser, and readjust the timing. Supposedly they will also stabilize the timing by masking the effects of mildly worn distributor shaft bearings.
From what I've heard, with a properly operating FI car, the multi-spark will not gain you much. With a carbed car (particularly with a hotter than stock cam), the MSD ( or Crane, or others) unit will help ignite/burn fuel mixtures that are richer than optimum.

Harvey
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Nov 3 2004, 06:09 AM)
From what I've heard, with a properly operating FI car, the multi-spark will not gain you much.

for the most part i agree completely...

the only nit i have to pick is the generalisation on 'FI' but i understand this question was asked in a 914 context...

that said, the MFI in a 911 (like mine...) tends to run rich especially at light load and a multi-spark CD box will help those stay clean; at least, that's my experience ...
72914S
Sorry I didn`t make it clear.just want to replace the points with a breaker less system. along w/the MSD.I have been leaning toward the crane unit.
Root_Werks
I have run Pertronix and MSD boxes for years, never had any troubles with either of them. Right now I am running a Pertronix and an early 911 CD box. Works great. smile.gif
SLITS
Crane / Allison Optical forever.
mightyohm
Pertronix/MSD, works great for me, I have used it on 2 cars now.
Cap'n Krusty
Crane unit in my early 911 (no CDI in this car), and in a LOT of customer's cars. I've installed a couple of Compufire units in VW applications (same as 914s, and about a 2 minute install time), and thrown away a LOT of pertronix dead ones. What makes you think you'll benefit from an MSD? Too many episodes of Shade Tree Mechanic?
You want more spark, find an original 68-69 912 coil and swap it in......................... The Cap'n
72914S
My reason for putting in the MSD is that I have it .I have not looked at the compufire.
mudfoot76
My new engine has Pertronix on it, and it is working great so far....
STL914
Yep, Pertronix. I installed one in my 2.2 liter when I first bought my 74, about 6 years ago. My 74 is history,but the
Pertronix is still running strong in the 2.2 which now in my '72. Never had any trouble with it. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.