Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch schematic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
I need a complete schematic of the stock ignition switch for 70-76. Already been through the elec diagrams on PP & Haynes - but not what I need. The Haynes one would work if they didn't split it up across two pages.

Also the other thing I need to verify (appears to be the case) - does the switch have mulit-decks? Meaning are there multiple circuits for each of the 3 positions (Off, run, & start)?

TIA,
larryM
well, yes,

and, maybe

not all yrs 70-76 had the same switch wiring set as best I can tell - essentially the same switch as VW & also 911 used - but annual "upgrades"

I have spent 30+ yrs haggling with this issue - have lots of schematics & hand-drawings bases on actual circuit testing - based on having fiddled with this problem on at least 15 914's of various yrs & origin

I will look at all my old notes and see what i can find to help

i am currently revisiting wiring issues as i do a 3.2 motronic upgrade - l

it's an end-to-end ohmeter excercise at the least

76-914
IIRC, Brad the DJet Oracle has a write up on those at his website with some good pic's. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/headl...h_internals.htm. There are different switch's depending upon the year
3d914
Thanks larry. 76 - the link is for the headlight switch. I'm after the ignition switch.
JeffBowlsby
Its in the factory manual...

3d914
Jeff, does that schematic indicate clearly whether it has multiple decks? The incoming side (30) apears to be a single input circuit.

One other thought. Does the 914/6's panel mounted key cylinder take the similar ignition switch used in the 4's (didn't see a separate one for 6's in parts catalog)?
SLITS
QUOTE(3d914 @ Nov 8 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Jeff, does that schematic indicate clearly whether it has multiple decks? The incoming side (30) apears to be a single input circuit.

One other thought. Does the 914/6's panel mounted key cylinder take the similar ignition switch used in the 4's (didn't see a separate one for 6's in parts catalog)?

The 914/6 is completely different .... early 911 style
JeffBowlsby
'Multiple decks' is a physical construction question...I dunno, take one apart to find out. Use an ohmmeter to verify the electrical function....

The /6 switch is different than the /4...thats all I know about it...
3d914
OK, the factory switch schematic helped me, so I think I figured this out together with the switch schematic for the SHO. Here's a schematic I drew up to handle my minimum requirements. There are two separate input circuits and two separate conditions for the start/run circuit for each. This is why I needed a two-deck rotary switch.

Click to view attachment

The more I studied it and looked at various switches in catalogs, it dawned on me that I can replicate these circuits with two separate toggle switches. One DPST to handle the two input circuits, and one SPST momentary switch to provide the start function. It turns out this can serve the role of the clutch position switch also.

Click to view attachment

This will take care of the engine bench test, but I'll still need to take apart a stock switch to build a schematic of it so I can use it when engine is installed.

Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.