Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looks like I'm heading for Long Island now. anyone in the area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
The company changed my deployment. Looks like I'm heading for Long Island. I need to know if there is any affordable motels that may not be damaged or booked solid with local residences.

Also anyone know if there is power and cell service there yet?

How about gas?

Anyone have any real info other than what you can fine on google?
ejm
Any idea where on Long Island? The south shore was hit hardest and that stretches for 100 miles. Gas has gotten easier to find, power will be off in places until Thanksgiving and I've heard of no problems with cell service. Lodging has never been cheap, not sure about availability. I have family and friends there, give me a call.
Porschef
Hey Rick,

It depends on the area you're heading for. It's a small place with a lot of people and many of them are displaced after Sandy. Some parts got up to 7" of snow last night to add to the fun. We were lucky, only lost power for 4 days; Internet and phone came back last night.

Gas is also spotty; I drove a 10 mile loop yesterday with only one station open, the line was over a mile long. Later a Hess station had a 1/2 mile wait while still closed only because a tanker was spotted in the lot. Other places have reports of short lines, so it's apparently hit or miss.

If you'd like, shoot me a pm, my wife has a lot of contacts and once you know your destination, she may be able to help out.

Joe
rick 918-S
Thanks for the replies. Still waiting to hear where exactly they want me to go and I'm supposed to leave today screwy.gif .
sean_v8_914
copiague and massapequa (suffolk county) have power and fuel. schools are open there today. my step-son lives there. he may have a room to rent
bulitt
Bring some cash, sounds like many stations only taking paper.
You flying into JFK?
914itis
I am in the area , (amityville ) let me know , I am available after 7 this evening. Until then I am in the JFK ( queens area) let me know if you need a lift. I will pm you my cell.
Tom_T
Hey Rick, you may be better off staying a bit inland away from the LI damage & driving in from there, assuming you'll have wheels that is, and that there are roads/bridges available now.

That may also free-up a place for an out-of-house/apt. resident to stay on LI.

I'm not back there, but have a brother & buddy in the Alexandria & Leesburg VA area & know what they're going thru to get to/from work.

So just a thought!
rick 918-S
Thanks guys! Hey Sean! thanks for the text! I spent the day getting the car ready. I'm driving out. I'm still wrapping up some open claims here yet tonight. I'll keep you all posted. I purchased a wifi hot spot for my car. I will be able to work as long as I have a cell signal.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 8 2012, 03:35 PM) *

Thanks guys! Hey Sean! thanks for the text! I spent the day getting the car ready. I'm driving out. I'm still wrapping up some open claims here yet tonight. I'll keep you all posted. I purchased a wifi hot spot for my car. I will be able to work as long as I have a cell signal.

Rick,
The guys I used to work with at the ambulance company tell me that even when nothing else has been working, cell signal is up and operating pretty much everywhere. They are in New York as part of a disaster Strike Team...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.