Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing second heater motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scooter311
Okay, here's an official first dumb question post, woooo! do I get a cookie or something

I put in a second heater blower motor, and have everything hooked up and ready to roll out the 'heatwave', but need to know about the wiring - I know you can't just splice into the existing harness. Is there a safe way of rigging into the existing system to have it come on when the lever is engaged?

stomping my feet, shouting :
I swear I'm gonna get a few more miles of driving in dammit! I don't care if it's too cold out I'm not putting my car away yet I don't care I don't care I don't care I don't care I don't care I don't care

fit over
Joe Bob
Jumper on the circuit board....
Root_Werks
The two wires that power the fan should handle a second fan just fine. They go through a relay so they can take the load. I know, I have done it on a few 914-6 conversions including my current one. One heater fan for each side. WOOOOSH! You can feel the warm wind! laugh.gif
qa1142
I am in Chicago and heat works fine. Not sure why you need 2nd motor. huh.gif

Did you go through the system? Are all the control cables there? No missing hoses or rusted valves?
blabla914
I ran a second fan for years. Works great and it makes for a tidier engine compartment than that stupid hose running all the way across. I never had a load problem with the fan circuit. Though I will admit it didn't seem to make a huge difference.

Kelly
scooter311
Thanks for all the replies so far doodz
I tried splicing it into the existing plug on the stock assembly, but the fuse on the relay board keeps popping, so I figgered this was a no-no. What gauge wires should I be using, maybe that's why?
All the cables are good, and the system is in great working order - the drivers' side gets good heat, but I'd like a little extra oomph from the passenger side system. I've heard pros and cons about it, but wanna see for myself (I'm stubborn) how it works.
Plus I can say to my girlfriend "Look sweetypants, now you can stay nice and toasty when we go for a drive.." biggrin.gif
It's not a huge deal, I'll be taking it off the road REAL soon anyway - we're supposed to have sleet and snow this weekend mad.gif

Jeff
mikerose
Check the clamp on the motor it may be to tight.
SirAndy
why not getting a bus-blower with 2 outlets? that way you only need one blower.
plenty of warm air (for me at least) ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.