Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did a NW teener lose their car today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Hope whoever it was is okay.
914werke
where was this?
PeeGreen 914
Somewhere between his house in Kirkland and on his way to work on Queen Anne. He wasn't specific. I'll try to get more details but he said the flames were 15+ feet high sad.gif
a914622
I seen an orange one heading out I90 going to Montana being towed? Does that count.

Unless its being spit out the exhaust FIRE not good!

jcl
Ductech
Umm ill add to the roll call. Mines safe in the garage... Still rusty and half painted...
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like it was right off Mercer in Downtown.
PeeGreen 914
Here's a picture of it icon8.gif sad.gif
flipb
This was just posted to the 914 group on Facebook. icon8.gif

Click to view attachment
jcambo7
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Nov 9 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Sounds like it was right off Mercer in Downtown.

Do you know if it was multi colored? The guy that is the facebook admin for Porsche 914 user name here sangandongo.

Here is a picture of it that he posted on the page
Click to view attachment

jsayre914
So terrible to see that.

sad.gif

Do you think they opend the front trunk looking for the engine ?
PeeGreen 914
Well, you can see what looks like the gas tank laying about 10 feet in front of the car just at the right edge of the picture. They may have wanted to get that out of the way.
Cupomeat
A shame to see.

Sorry man!
jcambo7
Here are some more photo's from Komo news Queene Anne area
http://queenanne.komonews.com/photo-galler...and-mercer?page
preach
http://queenanne.komonews.com/photo-galler...d-mercer?page=7

Posted on Facebook as well.

Sad.
rohar
Heartbreaking!

It does serve as a reminder though (not sure it was the cause in this case). Have YOU replaced your fuel lines sometime in the last 40 years?
jcambo7
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Nov 9 2012, 05:09 PM) *

Well, you can see what looks like the gas tank laying about 10 feet in front of the car just at the right edge of the picture. They may have wanted to get that out of the way.

The owner said he pulled the tank out to stop the fuel flow. Sounds like fuel leaked some how either before or after the fire started. Sad because he just got it back on the road not too long ago.
rjames
Sad.

I don't recognize the car and I'm happy I didn't see it in person. icon8.gif
JRust
Damn that makes my head hurt sad.gif . Hate to see a 914 go that way. Saw a 911 go that way on the side of the freeway once. Horrible thing to see. Especially when you've put so much into it. Absolutely horrible to watch your hard work burn up icon8.gif
Cairo94507
RIP little car sad.gif
krazykonrad
compared to some of the fires posted here over the years, that doesn't look too bad. nothing structural looks warped.

Konrad
jsayre914
Is Jon Kelly a member here ?
poorsche914
You may not want to watch this barf.gif

Burning 914

driving.gif
914work
John Kelly is/was his old venture (www.ghiaspecialties.com) I beleive is shut down after he moved to Oceaside.
VaccaRabite
Rear tires look like they still hold air. Interior does not look torched. Windows are not broken.
That car is salvageable.

Saw the video. Interior does not look TOO torched... X(
majkos
I'm sorry, but a Blue front end and a Red rear ?
this looks like two halves put together, and fuel line,
less than 100% stock? hmmmmm.

It's sad to see a burning 914 thou,
stugray
I will just venture a guess:

Car has carbs (can see air filters in pics)

...... Used stock fuel pump.... DOH!
Of course I could be wrong, but I'll bet a 6 pack of good beer!

Sorry to see that no matter what happened.
I always carry a fire ext., but current build will have fire bottle.
For ~$300 and the time to install, what better peace of mind is there?

Stu
jsayre914
Why is it moving in the video???
majkos
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 9 2012, 04:54 PM) *

I notice it too, hmmmm
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 9 2012, 04:54 PM) *

I'll bet it's in gear and the heat from the fire is expanding the air in two of the cylinders....made it move forward, then back...spooky--Christine??
cwpeden
And why is it resting against the bimmer?
aircooledtechguy
Don't get me wrong; I hate to see a car burn and all. But secretly I was hopin' it was that black car that's been on Seattle craigslist for the past 2 years solid bouncing from $2000- $4000. . .

Bummer
mightyohm
Bummer!
Valy
Half red and half blue and only the red side burns... Is this somehow related to the elections? And someone here claims it's still salvageable..
laugh.gif
jcambo7
Sadly he said he had a fire extinguisher and it was unable to stop the fire. Probably because it was being fueled by the gas. confused24.gif He is pretty pissed off about it and it sounds like he plans to scrap it.
Ductech
I'm assuming its gas from what you guys are stating, but did anyone csi it and figure out the actual failure point?
EdwardBlume
Just a tragic reminder to service your fuel lines and fi seals.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Ductech @ Nov 10 2012, 03:30 PM) *

I'm assuming its gas from what you guys are stating, but did anyone csi it and figure out the actual failure point?

So far he hasn't posted anything on (facebook) what caused the fire so it's all speculation.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Nov 9 2012, 05:30 PM) *

The owner said he pulled the tank out to stop the fuel flow. Sounds like fuel leaked some how either before or after the fire started. Sad because he just got it back on the road not too long ago.

Pulled the fuel tanl out? That's not a patricularly quick thing to do...unless it isn't secured. Thonk about it. It would take some simple tools, but about ten minutes to do. I suspect that the tank was just restunnf in the well, unsecured. Wobbling arounf with fuel in it until a hose clamp let loose. Fuel om the ground. hot exchangers above - poof!

Get the VIN - another one bites the dust
jcambo7
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 10 2012, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Nov 9 2012, 05:30 PM) *

Pulled the fuel tanl out? That's not a patricularly quick thing to do...unless it isn't secured. Thonk about it. It would take some simple tools, but about ten minutes to do. I suspect that the tank was just restunnf in the well, unsecured. Wobbling arounf with fuel in it until a hose clamp let loose. Fuel om the ground. hot exchangers above - poof!

Get the VIN - another one bites the dust

Well I mis read... He didn't say that at all...and of course what you say makes sense. headbang.gif
sixnotfour
Jack from Wolfsburg has the car and will sell parts , He called me and asked if I wanted it...my reply was "I am in rehab..must stay away from the 914"
Wolfsburg Motorwerks
206) 789-0182

The ex owner was painting it by sections. Jack said He was pretty Upset.

BTW adrenaline and a screwdriver ..Tank out it less than 1 minute.
Zaney
Sad to see sad.gif

Call Racer Chris for some SS fuel lines now!!!

Luckily, the car is not too far gone by those pics. Not fully engulfed but be careful of the residues (carcinogens) from car fires! Melted plastics and rubbers are bad mojo!

Cheers,
Nate
Redmond Engine 11 Engineer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.